Starting Out

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

captainfur
Junior participant
Junior participant

Starting Out

Postby captainfur » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi all,

Looking at starting in trials, haven't really ridden in 20+ years and have never ridden trials. Was originally looking at twinshock but have decided to get a modern bike along the lines of something like a Beta REV3 250, Gas Gas or Sherco 250 and similar etc.

I have seen a few Gas Gas 280s advertised on this site and auction sites etc, would this be too much power for a newby?

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Re: Starting Out

Postby Trango » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:56 pm

You might find a 280 a bit over powered when you are starting out. One of the most popular modern bikes amongst lower grade riders is the Beta 200. It would be a good size to learn on and you could upgrade to a bigger bike later on.

Anthony Drake
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: SY250FR TY250a

Postby Anthony Drake » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Gday captain
mate buy what you want.I dont think any trials bike is over powered for a adult.If you weigh more than 70kgs get any bike .Anything under that maybe think about a smaller cc .Otherwise I think if you want a 280 cause you like the look or any other reason go and buy one and join the fun .

Goodluck Drakey

Livin the Dream

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 am

Hi captainfur,

I can see where Anthony is coming from. And there is a lot of merit to being enthusiastic and jumping in with two feet. But I've lost count of how many people I've spoken to that have bought a full powered bike. And then later gone for a lower powered bike. And taking into account that you've not ridden for 20+ years (same as me 4 years ago). I think you'd be better with a bike like the Beta 200, Sherco 200 or any of the 4 Four stokes (except the Sherco 320). But you'd be better with a GasGas 250 than a 200 (sounds crazy I know #-o ).

I spent over a year detuning the Sherco 290 I had. I learnt a lot about Trials bikes as a result. And it did help with my riding (while I was in control :lol: ). But I'm reluctant to recommend this course of action to anyone else. And you'll only really know what I mean when you're out on the rocks. :shock:

And because there's a lot of 290's, 280's and 270's out there. You'll find the lower powered bikes harder to find, second hand....So all I can say is best of luck....either way. :wink:

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Scorpa SY250R or in Longride version.

I just went round this merry-go-round and am very happy with the Scorpa. Compliant suspension, predicatable and progressive power. The Sherco 2.9 out of the box was just too wild and twitchy for me even after de-tuning it to death.

jamie
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby jamie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:17 pm

just buy a bike you can afford and then ride it every moment of every day!!

you'll have to stop when you get cramp in your clutch finger. won't be able to ride again til the blisters on your hand harden up!!

you will fall off and it may hurt. it's also bloody good fun.

if you are a bit careful and take it easy whilst learning, doesn't really matter what bike you get.

the 270/280/290s are much more common. late models are much better than they were even 3 or 4 years ago. get the best (ie latest model) bike you can afford.

ring one of the dealers that advertise on this site. if you live close enough, visit the dealer, most of them will let you have a demo bike for a ride. or blag a ride at a trial.

go to a trial and talk to people that actually ride.

jamie

Return to “Trials Talk”