What actually happens at an Observed Trial

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

What actually happens at an Observed Trial

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 pm

OK, so - I have bought an appropriate bike and I have managed to practice going slow down my driveway and to do wide figure 8s on the nature strip. I bite the bullet and turn up at an organised observed trial. What is the structure of an event? What should I prepare for/expect?
Peter

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Re: What actually happens at an Observed Trial

Postby Trango » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Normally the first order of the day would be putting the bike through scrutineering to make sure it is in good condition and safe to use. Not all trials do it anymore with the introduction of self scrutineering forms you sign off yourself. Either way when that is taken care of you collect your first lap card from the score tent and attend the riders briefing before the event starts. After that you ride the trial of which you will be informed about in the briefing in regards to location of sections, number of sections and how many times to ride them (laps). All trials are similar in how they are run but each trial is a bit different in layout and the info for the particular event will be relayed at the briefing

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks, Trango.
That all seems clear enough as far as it goes.

Any comments about the scrutineering process. I have read Chapter 19 of MOMS (2018) and checked Appendix A on Protective Clothing and Equipment. There is a lot of 'onus on the rider to prove' his/her bike/equipment complies. How hard is this in real terms?

One last thing, a little one but what's an effective way to carry the scorecard around?
Peter

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

It's not hard to complie with the requirements. I have no doubt you prepare your bike to a level that you feel it is mechanically sound and safe to ride. The scrutineering just makes sure you have prepared the bike properly. Effective brakes, sound bearings, tight spokes that sort of thing and lanyard kill switch fitted and an approved helmet. Boots, long pants and a sleeved shirt as well I think, it's been a few years since I read the MOMS :oops: There are different methods of carrying the card but the easiest I have found is to safety pin it through my shirt. Most scoretents have pins to use and you return it when you hand in your last card.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:39 pm

You have been very helpful, Trango, thank-you.
Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 pm

I found this link from the AJS Mototrials Club. While some details are specific to that club there is useful general information.

http://www.ajsmototrials.com.au/getting-started/

Peter

Return to “Trials Talk”