Riding Gear

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

scrivo
C grade participant
C grade participant

Riding Gear

Postby scrivo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Does anyone wear upper body protection :?: :?: Let's keep it clean :shock: :lol: :!: I am returning to riding and don't think the body will repair as well as a couple of decades ago. Does does any one wear body armour of any decription? If so what brand. I know I may be a 'woose' :roll: :lol: but elbows and shoulders just don't take the get offs like they used to.

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Riding Gear

Postby gordonmichaellee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:45 pm

The best adice I can give is that if you don't wear it you fall off and hurt yourself where you would have been wearing protection. If you do wear it you seem to land on another part of your body where you don't have protection.I wear it sometimes, depends what riding I'm doing, but this is a bit stupid realy coz you never realy know when your going to fall off. Just remember

there's plenty of dead hero's

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:22 am

there was a thread from memory started on this topic a little while ago... have a search and check it out. Some people wore nothing, some people wore EVERYTHING! and I mean almost every piece of body armour you can get!

My advice is that you're better to be safe than sorry if you're worried. Particularly if you find that you don't feel confident on the bike because you are worried about hurting yourself.

If you are going to wear some protection and didn't want to go for the full motorcross body armour, it's prob worth having a look at some of the gear the bmx guys use, elbow pads, etc. that will prob be a bit lighter and less restrictive than a full body armour.

Hope that helps.

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Apart from the usual Helmet, Boots & Gloves I always wear a kidney belt under my riding pants because falling back onto a rock and smacking my lower spine would definatley put a dampner on the day.

I also wear lightweight (BMX) knee protectors under my riding pants these don't restrict my mobility at all but do need washing every now and then (phew!!)

I used to wear lower arm pads which helped cure my arm pump & tennis elbow problems but since changing to a baby scorpa (TYS200) I find I don't use the clutch half as much so no longer suffer from finger cramps and the like.

Ah the joys of being a VET!

yoda
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: GG280, ZX6, GSXR600
Club: TCV

Postby yoda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm

I use downhill mtb knee/shin pads everytime i ride now(due to bad leg) and whey work great, nice and light and fit into boots.
As for upper body, nothing in trials but wear an alpinestars pressure suit for stuntriding, its pretty comfy when you get it adjusted to fit right. Doesn't restrict too much movement.
They're around $300 from most moto shops.

Professional faller off-er

mtbrider
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby mtbrider » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:01 pm

If you are looking for some cheap gear that is by price not quality get some mountain bike protection gear it is made for high movement (and pedaling) so I would assume good for trials. Seems good to me as I am only just getting back into trials.

I use this stuff all the time on the mountain bike and can confirm it is pretty much the same as the light weight motorcycle stuff (mostly the same manufacturers any way).

This is the link to a New Zealand on line company who sell stuff at huge discounts. I have purchased a lot from them and can confirm they are safe and fast. (I don't have any links to them by the way). Just go to apparel and then protective gear. You can get elbow and knee shin protection for under $80.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au

Return to “Trials Talk”