Xispa

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Re: Xispa - pronounciation

Postby richardr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am

Having worked in China for 18 months, I am pretty sure that the pronounciation of Xispa is "shis-pa"
The 'X' in Chinese words is pronounced like a cross between "Ch" and "Sh" - as in Xian (where the terracotta warriors were found) which is pronounced "Shian"

grouch
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Beta Rev3 250

Re: Xispa

Postby grouch » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:40 am

I think you are correct with the pronounciation Richard, but I don't think it is a Chinese name.

This taken from Xispa's Spanish website - http://www.xispa25.com

Why the name Xispa?
Obviously the Project had to have a name and we thought about a name that reminded us about the world of Trial. The ones who are already aged remember the popular motorbikes Bultaco Chispa and Montesa Cota 25, the ones that didn’t have one really wished to but it wasn’t to be. After chewing a lot on the name we decided to baptise this project as Xispa 25, and here is where the name Xispa comes from.

A bit of a "Spanglish" translation there but you get the idea.

As i understand it, a lot of the parts are made in China to keep costs down, but the bike is assembled in Spain.

junior
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '02 Sherco 290

Postby junior » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 pm

a huh, so is it made by Sherco, but sold for cheaper under a different name as not to whore out the Sherco name? much like Sako's Tikka brand?

'02 Sherco 290

grouch
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby grouch » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Definitely NOT a Sherco - in fact Sherco released a press statement last year condemning Xispa (without mentioning any names) and threatening legal action. I don't know how all of this ended up but Sherco was definitely upset about the whole situation.

An excerpt from the press release -

By means of the mass media, Sherco has become aware of the launch of a trials motorcycle that is practically identical to one that has been designed, tested, manufactured and marketed exclusively by Sherco.
We are positive that the motor, the chassis and accessories of this motorcycle are identical to the Sherco motorcycle. This is not a mere coincidence, but rather a choice to take advantage of the extensive Research and Development done by Sherco. We also believe that they are intentionally trying to cause confusion in the marketplace among the fans of the sport.
Sherco has invested many years in the development of the trials motorcycle in order to offer our clients the very best products that are constantly evolving. Sherco has NOTHING to do with the promotion of this new motorcycle which is being manufactured in China. In some areas it is being promoted as though it were a second Sherco brand with the clear intention of causing confusion and doubts. For this reason Sherco is making public that we have had nothing to do with this copy and that we never authorized its production.
Sherco is at this time preparing the appropriate legal actions to require the company in question to respect the rights of Sherco and discontinue the production of this product.
Furthermore we will insist that Sherco will not be responsible for the operation of the motorcycles of this brand, nor will we be responsible for any warranty repairs or defects associated with this or any other brand.

Maybe Xispa have changed the design enough now to avoid any legal issues.

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Postby richardr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Ok . . . Probably pronounced more like "Chispa" than "Shispa" . . but close enough. . .

Management at the Sherco factory in Spain probably pronounce it "F&*@ Chinese SHi#$% - pa"

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 pm

ha i bet they do!

So I'm thinking this is about the point wen the Hell Team join this conversation and let us know wen they expect to have them and an approximate cost..

'waits for hell team response' :roll:

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Raddy
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Raddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:12 pm

I received the following email from Paul @ The Hell Team:
Thanks for your interest in Xispa, but I have no definite release date or
pricing just yet. As you could probably tell by reading Trials Central
Xispa have been keeping a pretty tight lid on it until they are well and
truelly happy with the product, and are confident it's up to the level to
compete with the other 5 brands on the market.
As soon as i have any news I will post it on the web, as i know the
interest level is high.

I guess we all have to wait for now. :?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Motocross Digital article. I will check it out.

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Who cares how its pronounced, its getting pretty good press overseas now. Seen clips of David Cobos weaving some magic on this bike, and its right up with the other brands abilities.
Depending on the price, and it gets a better colour scheme, I agree with you there Grouch, it would not surprise me to find it may well get a following. If Pauls service and enthuisiasm is behind it in Australia it just may be a surprise winning combination.

Raddy
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Raddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Price on the test bike in Motocross Digital is 4390 Euro, which converts to $7643 AU. I imagine you would have to allow more for freight to Australia. So we're most likely looking at $8000k for the 250cc.

grouch
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby grouch » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm

richardr wrote"
Management at the Sherco factory in Spain probably pronounce it "F&*@ Chinese SHi#$% - pa"
Ha! nice-one richard! i bet you are right!

I agree nipper the Xispa could be a surprise package & will probably give the other manufacturers a bit of a shake up i guess - nothing like a bit more competition.

If the estimate of $8,000 to $8,500 is correct, it will see them competing directly with the rest of the 2 stroke bikes.

Interesting times..........

Return to “Trials Talk”