Trials Nirvana

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Trials Nirvana

Postby PA » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Driving along the I8 towards San Diego today when we drove past the most incredible mountain range.
Attachments
DSC03957.JPG
DSC03925.JPG
DSC03940.JPG

gmcdesign
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Scorpa
Club: AJS of SA

Re: Trials Nirvana

Postby gmcdesign » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:03 am

Hi Peter,

Stop by the Granite Dells near Prescott, Arizona whilst you're there. I'll wager they run a close second to your "stone mountain".
First photo is me at the Granite Dells, much younger, much fitter, but unfortunately sans trials bike.

Cheers and Merry Xmas,
Greg
scan.jpg
Attachments
prescott.jpg

Life is a trial.

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 am

Both those spots look awesome! You'd want to be at peak fitness before taking on those mountains in PA's photos.. they'd knock you round a bit..

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 am

Sort of reminds me of trying to ride this section last year on my TY175 that resulted in a 5. The suspension just bounced so much and trying to counter react just got more out of shape the further I went!.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Postby Betaman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey Subanator....get yourself a modern bike! That will fix your 5 problem! :wink:

Although that section does look like everybodies favourite.....an uphill climb full of poxy loose jumbley rocks with a few turns thrown in to boot.

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:20 am

A question for subanator.
When you try a section like that do you go at it hard or do you take each obsticle in isolation? ( this is a genuine question from someone that has never competed or even been to a competition).I think that some of the twin shock guys might be a bit afraid of the time and money they have put into thier bikes.

( i'm not bias as I own a twin shock and a modern and love them both dearly, ( oops I do have kids and a wife aswll whom I love more so)). ( think I might make that last bit my tag from now on)

Cheers Gordo

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:30 pm

gordonmichaellee wrote:When you try a section like that do you go at it hard or do you take each obsticle in isolation?
Personally I would go at it hard. I would try to keep momentum up and flow through the section. Stopping and starting on terrain like that would make it hard work.

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi there,
Subanator trials section on a twinshock will ALWAYS be hard work. There are sections for modern monos and sections for twins, that section is a Mono section!! Old twins are not really up to the demands of a hard loose rocky section, thats why monos were such a revelation when they first appeared. I vaguely remember my first ride of a mono < TY250S > and how incredibly forgiving it was compared to a TY175. Dont get me wrong, a twin in the hands of a good rider will beat a mono in the hands of myself but they are basically just easier to ride.
FF :lol:

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:06 pm

gasgasman - yes I have got a modern also! I decided to ride the twinshock class in this particular even, as it was set as a Scott Trial with non-stop rules, easy/hard lines. Shear bloody mindedness kept me going, but too hard an event on the TY and body, modern next time!

gordonmichaellee - I took a fairly hard approach, without a clear line, I was trying to set enough speed to get the suspension in time, but loose out when the back end skips or slips (going uphill too). Being non-stop rules and time a penalty, a five was inevitable on this section on the twinshock. I didnt give it an easy time, it got punished enough, even bending one rear shock slightly!

Ferretflasher - twinshock, stands for twice the challenge! TY stands for Torture You!
I got bored riding the modern, rode the easy line on a twinshock gave me back a challenge I now enjoy, but unfortunately not a widely supported grade where I ride.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Return to “Trials Talk”