Bucca Trial

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Bucca Trial

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 am

BUCCA TRIAL

THE STORY SO FAR

Greg Harding
Eastbank Fabrications
663 Eastbank Road
CORAMBA NSW 2450

24 February 2009

To whom it may concern,
During the Bucca Trial which was held 30-09-08, Sue & Peter Foote and myself were approached by Bill Guthrie and Paul Arnott to see if they could run the Bucca Trial as a NSW Championship event. They were very keen as they explained venues for Trials were getting harder to co-ordinate in and around Sydney. Both Bill and Paul had seen versions of the Bucca Trial DVDs and they were very impressed. The thought of holding a State round at Coffs Harbour was very appealing to them.

Because all of the discussions were on the day of the trial, there was no round table communication with all five of us together. Therefore I can only comment on my discussions with Bill and Paul. Both Bill and Paul had queried me prior to that at other trials. This was the first time they had been to the venue. My recollection of discussions is generally about them commenting our grades which were hard compared to NSW standards, and some adjustments needed to be made. I explained that LRMTC were interested in running the trial and that this had not happened yet, the reasons were beyond my control. I agreed with the suggestion with only 1 stipulation, that the event could not clash with any Qld Title, Interclub or Open event. Suggesting communication with all Qld clubs and I offered contact numbers. The reason I gave them is that most of the riders in Northern NSW ride in Qld, because of proximity, explaining also the five years of the Bucca Trial, we have had several riders from Qld compete. Since that initial request of mine, I reiterated this point in every conversation with Bill and Paul.

I’m sure that everyone who is concerned understands my exasperation when I checked the NSW calendar, only to find Bucca Trial clashes with the Qld Titles! When I found this out, I called Paul Arnott and asked why. After a lengthy conversation I informed Paul that regrettably I would be unable to attend at Bucca Trial as I intend to compete in the Qld Titles. Also, adding all 8 of my colourful man-made obstacles will be remaining at my residence. Furthermore, I will be unable to co-ordinate all of the observers, helpers and bunting as usual. Paul’s reply was if we change the date can we get you back on side? He said he would be talking to Bill about the matter. This phone conversation was on Friday 13 February. So far there is no response! As always, I am happy to discuss this with anyone. My phone numbers are 02 66543444 or 0428789854 or email donna-woods@bigpond.com

Yours sincerely

Greg Harding

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Re: Bucca Trial

Postby motostar99 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi Greg,

I have to admit I was disappointed to find that the trials were on the same day. I live near Brisbane, but after seeing those shots on the new website I definitely wanted to make the trip!

I hope something gets resolved and we can get the date changed! Look forward to some more info if you get any..

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

chippy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby chippy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Greg,
I hope that this situation is resolved quickly also. I was unable to ride the Bucca trial last year, but I did attend and I saw the dedication that you had put into this event, both behind the scenes making obstacles and on the day with organising observers, score tent set up and section "enhancing" it would be extremely dissappointing to say the least not to have you involved in this years event.

I have every intention of riding the Bucca trial this year and I know so many fellow Queenslanders will as well, however due to the event being placed on the same weekend as the Qld. titles (Qld. being my home state) I will be attending the Qld. event.

I find it difficult to understand why the NSW Sub committee seemed to ignore your repeated requests NOT to have the Bucca trial clash with any "open" Qld. events, but maybe in this forum someone might be able to answer this for me and for many other riders.

I am aware of many northern NSW riders and Qld riders ride some of the NSW rounds (if not all of them) and enjoy being able to compete in the Qld. titles as well, but will now have to make a decision which event to ride.

I hope this situation can be resolved very quickly, as I personally don't think that the event will run smoothly or successfully without Greg's imput.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:35 am

When the NSW Trials committee set the date for the Bucca Trial in 2009 it was not done lightly, and it was with an understanding that there were negative consequences for some riders.
But this decision was made for the long term benefit of Trials in NSW, (not QLD) and the Bucca trial in particular. It was not based purely on this year alone.
it does not mean it will be set on the June weekend in 2010, or any other year.
There were many and numerous discussions about the date, and there was lots of things that weighed on the final outcome, but the main reasons were:
There were very few available weekends on the 2009 calendar. (especially with all of August needed for the Oz titles at Pacific Park).
We are aware there is a clash with QLD title round.
But it was a case of hold it on the June long weekend or probably not at all.
Not being able to run Bucca in 2009 did not seem beneficial to the growth of Trials in NSW, even though a small group may have thought so.
The long weekend in June has many advantages for those travelling longer distances, and we know riders who have been to the event previously will always come back (maybe not all this year, but they will be back), but the motivation in 2009 is to get new participants, and to expand regionally the NSW calendar.
The Bucca trial usually has 20 - 30 riders. Hopefully we will have substancially more than that in June. If it means we don't have 120, which may have been the case if a "clear" weekend was available, and we only get 60, then well and good. It is still a 100% increase in rider numbers for the Bucca, and a great way to ease into a really big 2010. It will be manageable numbers for The Coff's Harbour Motorcycle Clubs first foray into Bucca Trials, and it will allow us to "feel the water" and ease into a bigger, stronger event in 2010.
It is no doubt disappointing for a few Northern NSW riders and a few from Southern QLD, and we apologise, but the Trials committee is trying to make long term plans that will benefit MotoTrials in NSW. We are trying to expand the calendar in regional NSW, and envelope new riders and communities.
Greg participation will be sorely missed, but Peter Foote has been very busy since the last Bucca building new sections and obstacles to maintain the high standard the Bucca has established in previous years.
There is other issues that Greg has with the landowners, and we hope he can see fit to resolving them in an amicable way, personally outside of an open forum.

Paul Arnott

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 pm

BUCCA TRIAL

Attn Paul Arnott,
Firstly, sometimes it takes me a couple of days for me to respond to emails. Eastbank Fabrications is a full time job. In response to your email, the NSW Trial sub-committee appeared responsible for the decision to clash the dates. I chose to talk to you because I knew you were on the committee. When there was no response after my call to you I decided to list what I knew on this forum. Interested to see if anyone shared my opinion. That is that the clashing dates are not good for promoting trails in general. It appears you have taken this personally, this was not my intention and for that I am sorry.

A little snipit of information for everyone, the very first man-made obstacle at the Bucca Trial was the drum stepping stones in 2004 (first event). This was my design and construction. As part of my verbal agreement with Pete and Sue, I was in charge of inviting all riders to the north of Coffs Harbour. This was done by personally handing out flyers at trials as many will attest. Now everyone has to decide, this makes me feel responsible!

As always I am happy to discuss with anyone. My contact numbers are 02 66543444 or 0428789854 or email donna-woods@bigpond.com

Greg

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 am

All NSW Trials Committee members are riders volunteering their time to help promote trials in NSW. We are not paid beaurocrats with no understanding of the sport. We have weighed up the situation, with all available information, and made what we considered as a group to be the best decision for Moto-Trials in NSW long term growth, and ultimately the best thing for the landholders, Coff's Harbour Motorcycle Club and the local community. Unfortunately it's not always a black and white outcome, some compromises have to be made occasionally.
We apologise again for any riders who feel slighted that they cannot be in two places at the one time.
We also encourage anyone to put their hand up for a position on the Trials sub committee to help make these decisions regarding calendars, and the general direction and running of the sport in NSW. You do not have to be based in Sydney. The meetings have conference call hookups available.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
whoever@thehellteam.com

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 am

Greg,
When I was on holidays at Woopi during January, I asked around the motorbike shops and rang the Coffs harbour MCC about the trial. They gave me the blank look or no answer at all. Are there are any flyers out there now? I would have thought the bike shops would have known about it.
Good luck on the Trial!

Feet up, as always!

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 am

Stu
The calendar had only just been finalised then so that's probably why you got a blank. The posters (as seen on the front page of TA) have gone out in the last few weeks, and the website has been completed by Sue and Peter Foote.

whoever@thehellteam.com

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:09 am

OK fair enough Paul. I was hoping to go out and meet and greet while I was up there.

Feet up, as always!

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Although I don't fully understand the real reason for this post my main concern is for Sue and Peter. Good people who offer their precious land for our benefit do not deserve to be subjected to this type of hassle. And I only hope that Sue and Peter can just laugh all this stuff off.

I fail to see any malicious intent here. And even if a different day was chosen it would only inconvenience different people......There no such thing as making everyone happy (even if you hand out money!! :lol: ).

At the end of the day Trials in Australia is just a GAME. No one (but no one) makes big money at it and all of us do it for FUN....don't we?

May I recommend we smile, reconsider, and reconnect with the real reason we do Trials.

Very best of balance to all Trials riders.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Return to “Trials Talk”