Section setting and severity

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Re: Section setting and severity

Postby Betaman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Hey PA,
One of your diagrams is missing some arrows.
I don't know about everybody else but I've always had trouble deciding what was more important.....
Attachments
Moto-Trial%20Life%20Cycle%20Junior2a.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:18 pm

As a section setter for over 45 years, the last 29 of them in Oz I have always felt that the fairest way to test all riders is to give a split of 30% easy, 35% medium amd 35% difficult and that means loosing marks in probably 50% of the sections for an average clubman rider.
After the first lap any rider can test themselves by either matching their score per lap or improving on their previous lap and I think a lot of riders forget the concentration to achieve this
I would agree that a grade winning score should be around 20 - 25 marks lost, lower than that and one mistake and you're gone.
More to the point in this discussion is the fact that there are probably around four or five guys in all the clubs I've come across who can be relied on to set sections that are acceptable for the grades intended and these are all the older guys, where are the young blokes who need to learn this side of the sport.
There's always a lot of talk on this subject and the answer is very clear,,, if you are unhappy with the sections set then get out on the working bee's and provide some muscle and suggestions to make your point or change things.
There are so many grades to cater for these days riders don't realise how lucky they are from years ago there were no Expert, A,B,C,Clubman lines to follow, Experts Intermediates and Novices all did the same sections (UK) and I'm not saying that was a good thing.
As previously pointed out above SQTA have been flexible enough to cater for different levels of skill by mixing sections for Div 4 and Div 2 riders and this has proved very successful but we are always open to further change if necessary.
My problem is what grade to ride these days, I have the choice of Twinshock, Clubman, Division 4, Masters, Veteran or Classic,,, I just want to ride
Cheers
Twinshock (AKA Fanticman, & Galps)

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:04 am

I agree with a score of between 15-25 for the winner in each grade. When the first three places have scores of say 4, 7 & 9 or places are decided on count-back, miss a split & you are gone.

Having said that when the skill requirements are increased less people want to move up a grade at the end of the year.
Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

dar1stheory
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby dar1stheory » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey guys,

Just attended my first club trial with my father on the weekend at the LRMTC hosted ride in Canungra, and we had a great time, (Thanks to all for the support in getting started!)

I'm feeling a little worse for wear today having found quite a few muscles that obviously haven't been pulling their weight lately... :(

We were taken around by Stuart (Big thanks mate) and shown through the different introductory and clubman lines for the sections, and had a great time, with a few challenging sections to keep us alert!

I've come from a road riding and stunting background, but I've never ridden a dirt or trials bike before 3 weeks ago, and this was my 3rd day out on my Beta 270, and I successfully negotiated most clubman lines cleanly or just 1 foot down, (IMO) :lol:

Out of interest, how am I delegated a class, am I judged by an official to gauge the appropriate skill level? Or do I automatically have to start in the lowest grade and compete at that level for a period of time?

Should have asked these questions on the day probably, but I was too busy having fun, and then too exhausted at the end!

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 am

dar1stheory,
I had the same thoughts when I started trials (coming from racing) - How do we get graded? In truth, there is no official grading. You ride whatever you're comfortable riding, by nominating your preffered grade when you enter. Riders are encouraged to have a look at the sections before nominating their grade - that way if you think C grade looks 'do-able', you can enter C grade.

I have given thought to a 'grading' system (in which you are assigned a grade based on your results - and are obliged to enter that grade every trial) but it would be very hard to make it work... Winning C grade for 3 trials in a row doesn't necessarily make you ready for B grade. Cleaning (or near enough to) C grade for 3 trials in a row probably would. In which case the rider would probably promote him/herself anyway. Upon collecting your trophy for winning your grade, for example C grade - it is customary for fellow riders to mutter "B grade" amongst a few fake coughs during your acceptance speech. So other riders will let you know when you're ready to make the jump.

By the way, welcome to trials!

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 am

Welcome to the sport Dar1stheory! Just to correct wazzawood (this may be different in QLD to NSW) but you actually do need to start in Intro or Clubman grade. At club trials it doesn't matter so much, however in Interclub and Open events you will need to start riding in the lower grade, once you have had 3 top 5 finishes in the grade and proven results that you can complete the clubman courses with ease, you need to send an application (just an email or letter) to Motorcycling QLD outlining your results and asking to be moved up into the next grade, which will be C Grade.

Once the Trials Sub-Committee accept your application to move up then you will move up to C Grade and will have to ride C Grade competition for all the Interclub and Open trials until you do the same process to move up again.

Hope that helps.

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks Motostar99 -

Yup us noo soufs do fings bit diffr'nt dow near. a gnat.
Nows a better. Well swat oregon. :P

:NSW: Wazza :NSW:

dar1stheory
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby dar1stheory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks guys,

So Motostar99 you reckon I'll be able to at least start clubman though? I'll be bored out of my mind at intro level...

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am

Yeah you shouldn't have any worries starting in Clubman. Just get yourself a white name plate and you'll be fine!

Clubman in most cases is pretty much considered the first level of competition.

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Return to “Trials Talk”