media..again

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

media..again

Postby Stu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am

How do people find out about Trials in their area?
We have a State Round in Coffs Harbour soon, talking to friends up there and they know nothing of the Trial. Does the Coffs Harbour MCC do any promo work? Or is it an independent person who gets the info out there for the public? I'm sure if it was MX or SX there would have been posters out already for months beforehand.

Feet up, as always!

Bill_Guthrie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Club: Bankstown Wiley Park

Re: media..again

Postby Bill_Guthrie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm

This is another bunch of first's Stu.
It is the first trial promoted by the Coffs Harbour Club.
It is the first time the property is available for a state round
Its the first time in a long while that we have had to post pone and then reschedule a Trial.
Its is the first time that an individual round of a state title has had its own web site. thanks solely to Sue.
There is some local promotion going on, via Peter and Sue and Coff MCC via Melisa.
Nothing much has happened until the last week because everyone at this end has been tied up on the Aussie titles, but again because of the change in date the flyers have the wrong date and it is the same guys doing everything, mores the pity.
Unfortunalty we only have a very small promotional budget for each trial, and we spent most of it prior to the floods in June.
This year we are seeking to make the event a success for the competitors and if all goes to plan things will roll from there.
If Coffs MCC likes what they see hopefully they will get behind it and run with it in conjunction with Peter and Sue, but at the moment we are doing what we can.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Stu
It's all voluntary work from Trials enthusiasts, but......
We would love to send your mate or yourself some posters to put up for us if you like. You could take a week off, drive up the 5 hours to Coff's, drop into every Motorcycle store, and have a chat - cos' it's rude to "eat and run", put up a poster , and move onto the next spot. Should only take a week to cover the area reasonably well. Or wait a minute just give us $5000 to run a commercial or two on the local TV channel, oh and probably the same amount to produce the ad in the first place, yeah ten grand should do it. Send the cheque to........
Seriously, it's the part of an event we struggle with the most. Everything is done by a well meaning small group of fellow riders (who all have paying day jobs)!
Promotion costs a lot of money and time, which we are all well short of. Major sponsors for almost completely underground sports are bloody hard to find at the moment. Even promoting the Aussie titles we had two professional ad men chasing sponsorship and we came up against some mighty brick walls. Eventually we decided in these "tough financial times" to concentrate on a larger group of small sponsors to make the event work. It took hundreds of man hours and some fantastic support from a lot of industry people to make it work, but none of us can put these mammoth hours in for every State round.
MotoTrials has about 500 licensed rider in Australia, Motorcross has thousands in each state. The numbers just aren't with us unfortunately. To really have the funds for promotion we either need to put entry fees up dramatically, or find a seriously major sponsor (and man we have tried)!
I hope this gives you a little insight into the issues we have promoting MotoTrials, and please send me your address so we can deliver 500 posters to you over the weekend. Hell I better go chase some more sponsors dollars to pay for the printing!
Want to have a trial named after you Stu? We take cards.......!

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:05 am

Thanks Bill and Paul for replying. It wasn't meant to be an attack on the organising Committees either at State or National levels. It was an observation from myself and friends. They were impressed with the Aussie nationals and wondered when the Bucca trial was on as there no promos' at all.
I keep telling people outside the Trials Community to get on this website, stop,have a look around and enjoy. I have a couple of blokes from work who will be coming up to the Wollongong Trial this sunday, and hopefully we will have them as riders soon. The Wollongong MCC, Gary Boniface and myself have done some promo work with an arena type trial demo at the now defunked Harbourfest some years ago. And yes it was bloody hard work and the crowds who turned up were impressed with the riding. It was good to see the public enjoying what our riders do.
I realise now the $$$ arent there to fully promote Trials as it should be like the other disciplines and those who get out there and do the hard yards congrats to you..

Feet up, as always!

Return to “Trials Talk”