NSW observing standards are at an all time low

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Observer Girl
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: NSW observing standards are at an all time low

Postby Observer Girl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I do not ride, i do not have family that ride trials, but i was taken to trials as a child with my Father and we observed together. I am now over 40 so have been on and off observing for many years at the local event's and have never not enjoyed doing it. However, i agree with Promo. We do need a small taped of section with a quick ride through a section just to show observers what to look for. It doesn't take long, one rider with a couple of flags and some tape. It could even be a straight line. Being shown what to look for gives the observer confidence to do the job right. Riders train hard, as as much as it is a fun day out, if the scoring isn't right, why compete?
Yes, errors will be made and forgiven and to make it more enjoyable for the observer, give them the tools to go out and and enjoy what they are doing. If the clubs gave a quick demo it would be more enjoyable for the observer, the rider and spectators.
I have never had an issue with any rider, I have not ever found riders to be anything but polite and always thanks me on the last round.
I get a free lunch and get to watch amazing riders all day. I get to meet some great people and see amazing views when I am lucky.
Consistency is absolutely the main issue and if you don't see it, don't score it. I do observe in Victoria so maybe it is different but the job is the same.
I love it so much that i have the family doing it with me, nieces, nephews, brothers and sister even friends and none have any other connection to the sport so it's not so bad really. I have spent hours looking up info for observing to give to them to watch, not much out there. Maybe someone could do a video and put it on a DVD to hand out or even sell to help the clubs income. i would purchase it.

In short, I observe for the love of it, have been for years and still think i would like a quick refresher at the start of the day, I would also get to meet the other observers and get to ask questions. Just an observers point of view.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Observer Girl
A few years ago a group of us did get together and do a video to help observers, and make it easier to understand the many rules involved in Observing a trials competition.
It is available free to watch on a few websites. Here's a link to the one on www.thehellteam.com website.
It can be found on the lower part of the left side menu on the front page, or at this link.

Free to copy and use how ever you see fit.

http://www.thehellteam.com/catalogue/c98

regards
Paul Arnott

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

gumby
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Sherco 290
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby gumby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:22 pm

G'day Paul

Thanks for revealing the existence for the Observer video. Its well done and would provide a very good intro for new observers. I'm sure when it was made 'a few years ago' it became well known to those who were around the Trials scene at the time. As someone who has only be involved over the last couple of I was unaware of it - maybe its time to advertise it again to other newbies.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Trials Talk”