To buy New or Second Hand?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

To buy New or Second Hand?

Postby motostar99 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Ok, question out there for those regular bike buyers!

When it comes to cars and bikes I've always bought second-hand, because I would much prefer to spend a few grand less for something that might be a couple of years old and still in great condition as opposed to a new one at the higher price. However, I'm having a moment where I might have a change of heart with my next trials bike...

Not sure whether I should save myself a couple of grand and get a second-hand bike or bite the bullet and get myself a brand spanker!

For those of you that can contribute, do you prefer to pick up a virgin or have one that's been around the town a little? :lol:

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Re: To buy New or Second Hand?

Postby ianrogers » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Come into some money have we Nicco??? I reckon go the virgin, but that's comming from a guy who hasn't bought a new bike since his first TY in 1974. I love spending other peoples money though.
Seriously though, it depends who you are buying it off and thanks to our ever expanding network there have been some good ones up for grabs at our last couple of events.

"The older I get the better I was"

bgradesherco
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco 290

Postby bgradesherco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Well I've bought both, its great having a Brand Spankers bike but you do cry with the first scratch on it :(

I'd go a secondhand one, if its only a year or two old in good condition its a pretty safe bet and pocket the $1500-2000 for new gear.

Cheers, Josh

Samy
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT
Club: LRMTC

Postby Samy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

I bought a 2010 Sherco this year and would recommend the 1-2 year old bikes. Any fiddly factory and/or warranty issues would have been sorted out and hopefully its been owned by one of those well off greybeards who sinply like to buy a new bike every year ;) I saved more than $2500 by buying last year's model. :shock: :mrgreen: 8)

Another bonus is that as with mine, there will already be a few minor bumps and scratches on it so you won't have to worry about putting that "first scratch" on it. I'd hate to be the one who puts that first big scratch on a brand new $9000 bike! :wink:

cheers

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah I think I'll stick with how I usually go and that's to buy a second hand one. Like you guys have said, just find the right owner and pick one up that's been well looked after and not ridden too hard and I'll be glad I saved some cash! 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

kriss007
Junior participant
Junior participant
Club: SQTA

Postby kriss007 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 pm

If ya still looking for a good 2/hand bike, pm squat405, he has a 2010 EVO 250cc and thinking of up dating it.
ya wont find a better one anywhere!!!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm

For club level riders might it be a good idea to try to find a TYZ engine Scorpa if looking for a used machine? Obviously not as light and nimble as any of the current machinery, but maybe bulletproof reliability and very good build quality are more important for someone who has to pay for repairs and replacement parts themselves?

Return to “Trials Talk”