Ignorance of Trials

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Ignorance of Trials

Postby KTMSprocket » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 pm

The short story is my son (13) has raced MX well and Enduro too.

For one reason or another, his confidence/interest has wained. He has also suffered a big injury to the Jaw (broken in three places).

We have an array of motorcycle weaponry in the workshop....of which one is a modern mono shock Sherco 125.

For a long time I have wanted him to get into Trials at least as a cross trainer for the above - or even develop a love for the sport and compete. (I can;t ride for NUTS myself but loved the BBC Kick STart and Junior Kick Start Series as a lad).

Anyway...bottom line is this....besides starting out and plonking around at say Pacific Park (we know Dave pretty well), I was wondering about something else too. We have ridden the Grass Track MX series up at Denman...we love the atmosphere there, the people, the surrounds and so.....and so we wondered if it was possible to tag along on one of their Twin Shock events to get to know the racing ropes....but not be scored etc etc (note we are signed up members of MNSW)

Any thoughts guys??

Cheers. JP

Trev
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Ignorance of Trials

Postby Trev » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Denman are running the 2012 NSW Classic, and Post Classic, Titles on Sunday July 1st.

An ideal time to see what Trials is all about. It won't include any reference to racing though.

Entry forms are available from the MNSW website, and they include contact details for Andy Daly who'll be pleased to answer your questions.

Cheers

Trev

Trev

you can't live in the past.............
but it's great having been there !

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm

The Denman event Trevor is telling you about is for Classic & Post Classic Motorcycles ONLY.
Sprocket you listed you have a heap of bikes in the shed, so hopefully there's a TY175 or similar in there.
An entry on a late 125 Sherco won't be accepted.
Denman is a great club & this event would be good to just get a look at all the "Old" Bikes.

Manly Warringah MCC is holding Club Trial at Pacific park this weekend (June 24th) It will be open to "All Bikes"
This may be more to your liking.

Cheers,
Gary B.

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 am

KTMSprocket wrote:He has also suffered a big injury to the Jaw (broken in three places).....For a long time I have wanted him to get into Trials

Easy fix ..... Sell all the motorbikes he rides except the Sherco..... He'll soon pick it up.....and live longer too.
This it what did when my daughter was 12 and I don't regret it one bit .... As such none of my kids have broken any bones and my daughter (now 18) rides enduro .... she tells me it's really too easy compared to trials.
And my future son-in-law rides Enduro to an advanced level .... Ever time he falls off he said "I haven't been riding enough trials lately!!".

There has to be a lesson in there somewhere.

All the best.
Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

TaffyEvans
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Harley D
Club: None

Postby TaffyEvans » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Yep, I remember my son riding trials [20 years ago] for a number of years and then riding enduro's, it was great to watch him as he was the only one with two feet on the pegs all the time. Now he has just bought a 2010 Beta 250 and his son is looking at a 2011 Gasser 300. and on it goes............

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Thank you all.

We'll drop down to Pacific Park and mess around there when the Jaw has healed (I suppose) (BTW...the jaw was broken in a skateboard accident).

Its a bit of a shame we couldn't ride at Denman with a modern bike when the time comes :-(

I'm not sure what'll happen to the other bikes....we'll see I guess when things return to whatever normal is.... :-)

(Neo....nice to hear from you again - does she ride the State enduro, sprint and cross country events? or even the Denman Grasstracks?)

Sydney, Australia

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi KTM,

I understand your post better now. Now that you've explained about the skateboard accident .... My apologies if I sounded a bit harsh. Just upsets me when I think of all the kid that get injured in MX and Enduro when they could having so much more fun with Trials at a fraction of the risk.

No Nikki takes a back seat (so to speak) now days and lets her finance take the trophies. He's a gifted rider but he knows that Trials holds the key to his success in Enduro. He wants to do EnduroX next, where his Trials skills will really stand out.

BTW.... I'm only back in spirit for the moment .... I bought another property back in Nov. and only got to ride my bike just yesterday. This new places takes up so much of my time but when that settles down I intend to celebrate my return with a brand new bike :wink:

All the best.
Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Return to “Trials Talk”