non stop rules

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt monk
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: beta
Club: sqta

non stop rules

Postby matt monk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 pm

checked out the non stop video and that looks like it would be hard for the observers and the riders. the sections would be sett different i supose.or are they at a loss to get bou to loose points the old way.anyway i,m shaw it will be spectacular what they can do all the same.

i was young and silly then i,m so much older now!

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Re: non stop rules

Postby Twinshock200 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm

I viewed that video a few weeks ago and I sat shaking my head thinking how difficult it was going to be for the observers, it will interesting to see how it goes
Galps

Pre 65 Classic bikes

bgradesherco
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco 290

Postby bgradesherco » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm

If the sections are set to suit a non stop style of event then it shouldn't be too much of a drama.

ianwilson56
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: GasGas
Club: ESMCC

Postby ianwilson56 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

What is happening on this for 2014 in Australia? I hope sanity prevails and there are no changes to the local rules? Incidentally, does anyone know how the FIM changes are currently being viewed? Watching the push bike guys at Pacific Park on the weekend it is very difficult to understand how non-stop rules can be good for the sport as that is such a logical breeding ground for moto-trials riders.

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby noobmeister » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:46 am

i found the FIM video about this issue but still can't really see why they are going for non-stop. what are the supposed advantages, just pushing riders through faster?

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 am

Hi noobmeister
You raise a good point

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby noobmeister » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 pm

thanks for the summary paul. i'm still very much the noob but have spent a lot of time getting the hang of balancing - like you i think it would be a shame to have done so in vain. and i enjoy the added dimension it provides me at least.

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

noobmeister wrote:li'm still very much the noob but have spent a lot of time getting the hang of balancing - like you i thik it would be a shame to have done so in vain. and i enjoy the added,- dimension it provides me at least.
I assume you're talking about stationary balancing. Regardless of whatever rules we are riding under good balance (whilst moving or stationary) is the most important skill in trials riding so you're efforts will not have been wasted.

cactus jack
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Scorpa SY250R
Club: OMCC

Postby cactus jack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:28 am

I stopped riding trials in the early to mid 90's. When I stopped I am sure they had introduced no stop. It obviously got dropped, and for good reason I think. What makes trials so incredible to watch is the balance displayed by some of the top riders. The back wheel hopping that we see truly blows me away. I think it is a shame to return to no stop, I attended the WTC in Maldon in 2012 and it was brilliant. At no point did it feel like the sections were dragging. I think timed sections is something that seemed to work really well. I remember as a kid watching trials from the late 80's, when Thierry Michaud was on top and Jorde Tarres was taking over, and they could spend a VERY long time in sections. This is what led to no stop, which led into timed sections. It is going to be interesting to see if it achieves what the FIM plan for it to.

boldaussie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: nil
Club: nil

Postby boldaussie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello everyone, just finished observing at Maldon and have to say it was a very interesting experience. I observed also 2 years ago so had a pretty good comparison. Knowing it was non stop rules being applicable I downloaded every youtube video I could of last years world championship and the official FIM video and spent hours studying them. The organisers of this years wtc at Maldon made every effort to ensure we knew what the non stops rules were including a surprise personal demonstration from Toni Bou showing what was and what wasn't, brilliant. Most important to the riders was consistency. From what I saw on the Saturday on most sections, as I wasn't observing, was disappointing to say the least. A bit of toughness wouldn't have gone astray. I honestly thought some of the observers had forgotten it was no stop rules. The consistency was there most of the time but really I saw very few penalties called for stopping when there clearly was , to the point where I was hearing novice spectators asking why riders were allowed to stop quite clearly and not be penalized and I was left dumbfounded myself at times. This has to reflect badly on the credibility of the sport. From all of my research of last years wtc events this was very common and the riders got away with far too much. No fault can be placed on the organisers or even of the riders and minders, compared to 2 years ago the minders were angels. I observed on the Sunday and would have called around 15 - 20 for stopping with only 2 querying my judgement and they were within the first 10 riders. What was obvious was that at my section, minders were actively telling their riders not to stop on my section after only a few riders through. It was a world championship event and being tough but fair the whole day I deemed completely warranted. It set the tone for my section and I saw some magnificent demonstrations of no stop riding throughout the day. One thing that really stood out was the Australian riders, they may not have fared well in the event but as per usual they didn't leave without thanking us for observing for the day, 2 of the English riders and Fujinama were the only others to do so. It is this last that makes observing 100% worth while. Thanks guys, an outstanding weekend.

Return to “Trials Talk”