Cut out lanyards for trials bikes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

kevin_zar
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Cut out lanyards for trials bikes

Postby kevin_zar » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 pm

TerrY,
In the FIM rules the rider is scored a five for not having the lanyard attached.
The lanyard is a part of the riders safety equipment, which must be used in every section. It is the riders responsibility to ensure they have their lanyard on before the enter the section, in much the same way as it is the riders responsibility to ensure they have their helmet on before the enter the section.
It becomes second nature, as soon as you get on the bike, you reach for the lanyard.
If the rider did ride the section without the lanyard, and the observer noticed this, the score would be five for the section.

best regards,
Kevin Zarczynski.

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm

what if a stick or branch accidently engages the lanyard while in a section stopping the motor is it a failure or can there be a re-ride

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 am

There has been some interesting discussion on this subject and it seems the younger generation of riders don't have a problem with the lanyard but some of the older guys wonder why its necessary.
Kevin mentions the FIM and its a requirement in their Major championships, but guys,,,, we are competing in club trials, interclub events and opens, the vast majority of us aren't competing for TDN places and our sections are no where near as severe as those events.
Why impose something into the sport for every rider that maybe one or two Australian riders, at the most, at any given time will be required to adhere to for the major world events, how many are currently competing in events under direct FIM control.?

I still think it should be "recommended that upper grade riders use a lanyard cut out system in 2014" and next year compulsory use for upper grades in 2015.
I've sent my email to the Trials Commission with questions and suggestions so it will be interesting if we get a response, I don't suppose anything will change if I am a lone voice.
Galps

Pre 65 Classic bikes

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am

They should be fitted to all sidecars. If it is not in the 2014 MoM's I will add this as a requirement for Sidecars at our events.

A Proximity Switch could be as useful as a Lanyard Switch without any cord. If you had a coded one then nobody could start your bike.

kevin_zar
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby kevin_zar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Hello Galps,
The lanyard rule is proposed with the aim of making trial safer, it is a safety feature, just like your helmet. It is not a attempt to be FIM compliant or follow the rest of the world etc
Every rider wears a helmet, every time they ride in a sanctioned event, and the lanyard will become the same safety related equipment.
Every rider will at some point benefit from the safety of these devices, by there own riding, those of riders around them, friends, relatives, spectators, interested parties, are all safer with the system in place.
Outside of events, GCRS's do not apply, so riders can practise without one, ride current bikes without one, but if the rider wants to be in a MA event, the lanyard will be required.
Should the lanyard be torn by a tree branch etc while riding the section, no penalty would apply, the rider would need to render the lanyard cut-out operative again before they enter the next section.
This is exactly the same as if you break a wheel or a lever, you should render the bike safe before continuing in the competition.
The goal is not about making another rule to enforce, it is about adopting a brilliant safety system that benefits riders and the sport.
Best regards,
Kevin Zarczynski.

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm

sounds like Im lucky to be alive after riding so many years with only a kill button

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:24 am

I understand what you are saying Kevin and appreciate that the lanyard should probably be fitted as standard equipment to all new machines but as Nipper said in the previous post we are lucky to be alive after surviving with only a kill button and unfortunately I am old enough to have ridden in events without the need for a compulsory crash helmet, how lucky am I. !!!!!!!!!.
What vexes me is that nobody has produced any statistics to prove that lanyards are necessary due to the amount of deaths through wild trials bikes thrashing about in the crowds, if these statistics exist I would love to see them, without them I object to lanyards being made compulsory.
Galps

Pre 65 Classic bikes

TaffyEvans
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Harley D
Club: None

Postby TaffyEvans » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:22 am

I fitted a lanyard kill switch some time ago because I thought it a good safety measure both for me and my Sherco. I have had a case where the bike has fallen back on me and I have laid there waiting for assistance while my boot played tunes on the spokes of the rear wheel. A fluke incident I saw was a mate pushing his bike to safety [he thought] to the top of a bank while he jumped back down to safety, the bike however landed on two wheels and possibly with the aid of the fast idling motor run on and crashed in the next gully.
Anything that helps prevent an over revving motor when you cant get to it, I'm in favour of. As far as catching it on trees etc, I treat that one as I do my handlebar leavers and throttle cable, be wary.
Come to think of it I've seen many failures in sections caused by riders who have hit their conventional kill switch inadvertently with their body due to it's poor positioning. This is easily fixed though.
And I've got an added bit off security by removing the lanyard from the switch, if needed.

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 pm

TaffyEvans wrote:And I've got an added bit off security by removing the lanyard from the switch, if needed.

Don't leave it with the bike at home and don't leave it home when you go for a ride. :oops:

sherpa
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gasgas/sherpa
Club: pacific park

Postby sherpa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I can see the merit in this rule for experts and world championship level riding, where the safety of the minder is a concern, but reckon its overkill for everyone else. Have any other national federations around the world adopted this rule and also is it compulsory for speed related events in Australia where the risk is certainly more 'real', enduros, road racing, motocross, etc. On another note, it seems to be common practice in Europe to not run 'bar ends' in other words have the handlebars blanked off and then install the throttle over the blanked bar, effectively leaving the end of the throttle exposed to the ground, rather than the bar end, if the bike is dropped.

Return to “Trials Talk”