Cut out lanyards for trials bikes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Buelligan
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 4RT Race
Club: AJS + AMTRA

Re: Cut out lanyards for trials bikes

Postby Buelligan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Buy one lanyard kill switch Mike ! Then find a good electrician and and have the rest of your bikes rigged with a plug in connector so you can just swap the kill switch to each bike !!

mike-b
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: beta rev3
Club: none

Postby mike-b » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am

Buelligan wrote:Buy one lanyard kill switch Mike ! Then find a good electrician and and have the rest of your bikes rigged with a plug in connector so you can just swap the kill switch to each bike !!

And were would i find a good electrician :lol: spend all my time getting the paint off the bike frame,forks etc, never again into the sand blasters for the next frame #-o

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 pm

I think trials would be much safer if bikes were required to have 4 wheels. Riders could be strapped in and have some sort of box around also.

greg r
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: scorpa250f

Postby greg r » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

I have to adapt to riding with a lanyard as i traditionally use the left hand to swish away flies ,now the bike dies when i do that!

sdeane01
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco
Club: TCC

Postby sdeane01 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:17 pm

On this video are many examples of lanyards saving injury to people and damage to bikes. There are some close calls too! Yes they are mostly riding at a level well above what we do, however, remember when in a section you tend to be in that grey area regarding your ability and a fall with a bike still running is extremely dangerous. Yes extra cost is not nice, but as someone who minds for people and enjoys helping riders at a lower level riders, i would think a $50 + time investment is worth it so fingers and other body parts don't get damaged, It also saves damage to the bike too. A seized engine runs at about $1100 now i think!!

To transfer from bike to bike just wire it up with spade connectors.

http://www.photobysergio.fr/gamelles-2013.html

j.bantoft
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gas Gas TXT80
Club: Tasmanian Motorcycle Trials

Postby j.bantoft » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 am

Lloyd wrote:I've got one on my Gas Gas now, after an unfortunate complete brain fade from myself which resulted in far too many revs and melted piston rings. I really don't want that to happen again and neither does the bank balance. They're very cheap insurance, I don't think I'd have a bike now without one.
You'll soon learn to check if it's correctly in place after trying to start it with it still hanging from your wrist a few times.

This has happened to a rider in my club. Yes they are good, but shouldn't it be personal choice. As an observer, I have had to stop bikes before, feeling unsure to approach a going bike on its side. I have one on my sons bike and he mostly has it attached to his wrist, bugger though when you scratch your nose.

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:41 pm

What about the 4RT with its tip sensor?

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Maybe i have missed it? but where can i buy a lanyard to suit a TLR 250?

womblesti
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby womblesti » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm

They are a universal item so should work on your bike.

I bought one and a few spare lanyards from The Hell Team.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Postby Kombivan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 am

The idea of a Lanyard in a boat where these things came from is so when you fall overboard your boat wont go round and round in circles and run you over with the propeller or just keep going out to sea and leave you stranded in the ocean. I can't see one losing their bike in a fenced in paddock and drowning. I only ever once wished I had one that was when I came off the back of my bike and the throttle must have stuck and it went about 200m straight into a pile of logs. That cost me two new fork tubes. But seriously why should somthing be forced on these bikes that was not original they are trials bikes and came out without lanyards. I won't fit one so I guess I won't be at any trials days if thats a requirement, I'll do my own thing. Imagine being in a really difficult section and you go to swat a fly and your engine cuts out or it connected to your foot and you go to balance and switch your engine off. I'd rather have a remote control on my person than a chord. By the time you activated that you would have your bike back on its feet and away. Haven't you guys came off your bike some how and managed to get back on while its still running thats part of the competition. Couldn't you see your arm or leg getting dragged into a wheel if one of these got caught by the knobbles on your tyres.

Return to “Trials Talk”