modifying older trials bikes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

modifying older trials bikes

Postby Stu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

Im going to cop some flak here, but I would like to know why are the Classic, Pre-65 and Twinshock bikes being modified to compete? What happened to the spirit of competition? Sure I have modified my pegs for larger safer pegs, and a different bend of bars but I dont intend changing the location of shocks, modified frame or put new modern internals in the forks. As I have seen or read here and on overseas sites there is a trend to make these older bikes 'competitive' against more modern machinery! why?
Why cant they be ridden as they were manufactured? if you want to ride a modern bike, buy a modern bike..dont go cutting up classic frames and modifying them so they cant be used in proper Classic or Post Classic trials.

Feet up, as always!

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Re: modifying older trials bikes

Postby sybella » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Stu ,you are dead right the frames are getting to hard to get ,you don't need to modify shock mounts ,sub frames to ride pre 65 class there just fun as they are.Yes foot pegs ,bars and those 17,19" wheels are no good either . The rules clearly state what we can tinker with . Being new to the classic scene I found most of the riders catch a disease .Spending to much time in the shed.The challenge is to keep making improvements to your bike so it completes a trial not breaking down .Hoping to get a large field to Tassie this year cheers Tony Bax

BOGWHEEL
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: TCQ

Postby BOGWHEEL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Hear Hear!

brt650
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
Club: DMCC

Postby brt650 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Hello Stu,
I don't think you will cop any flak here.
But I believe a public flogging would be more appropriate.
Just for an example, try riding a Bultaco 325 then compare it to a Honda TLR250. Both can and are ridden in the same class.
Then I think you will know why bikes are modified. Hope this goes in some way to answer your question.
Cheers
brt650

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:24 pm

brt650 wrote:Hello Stu,
I don't think you will cop any flak here.
But I believe a public flogging would be more appropriate.
Just for an example, try riding a Bultaco 325 then compare it to a Honda TLR250. Both can and are ridden in the same class.
Then I think you will know why bikes are modified. Hope this goes in some way to answer your question.
Cheers
brt650

Yes Brian, you are spot on, of course the Bultaco is waaaaay better than a TLR. That's why there are so many aftermarket parts being made for TLRs, so they can try and keep up with the Bultacos :wink:

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Trials Talk”