Ways to get more people into trials?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: Ways to get more people into trials?

Postby noobmeister » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 am

thanks zulujack. worked that stuff into the first post.

good points, trango. any specific ideas on how to do this? at this stage, we try to summarise reasons for getting into trials on our "interested in trials?" web page. also we've developed a range of cross training vids that i'm pushing on the dirt bike forums... how to apply trials skills to dirt riding. i regularly mention that all the top extreme enduro riders are former trials champions, and that serious riders should think about getting into trials too. if you want to send it around the link is here: http://www.wdtc.org.au/cross-training-enduro/cross-training-enduro-skills.htm. be great to get more tips.

Rider
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Rider » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 am

After riding dirt bikes / enduro bikes most of my life, i have just recently purchased my 1st trials bike and really not know much about trials riding. Ive been interested for many years to getting into trials but there was a few things that really deterred me.
1) i had no idea trials clubs even existed around seqld, and didnt even think to look that up.
2) buying my 1st bike was a bit daunting as i didnt know what to look for or what i should be buying.
3) getting replacement parts and repairs done seems to be a bit of a pain, i cant just duck down to my local bike shop and grab parts.
4) i thought i had my mates convinced to join me in getting into trials but they have been put off in lack of places to legally ride and the club events are a good 2hrs drive each direction from us.
5) with the clubs there only seems to be events every month or 2, and there doesnt seem to be much in the way of training and practice days, where you can just go out to where the tracks might be and have a ride and learn.

Some things that have been a positive that has pushed my interest in finally buying a trials bike was.
1) the training videos posted on utube that have come out of wdtc.
2) being able to chat to a club member regaurding ins and outs of trials in clubs, and being welcomed to come out to a club day to have a look and a chat.

TaffyEvans
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Harley D
Club: None

Postby TaffyEvans » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Noobmaster, thanks for the thanks to me in your opening post. I responded to the Trials Central post but I'm also a member of this forum too and ride up in North Queensland.

Just to add to the above posts. My mate and I rode for about 18 months on our own before we thought of expanding our rider numbers. If we wanted to ride with others we would drive to Townsville a whole 130 odd kays away. We offered rides to others and some would give it a go, but it's not easy to get MX riders to change their need for speed. We wanted the right kind of guy's too, we did not want to lose the great riding country we had been given permission to ride because of irresponsible riding.

So really we let the word of mouth thing happen. One guy who lived in town and had a bike already joined us [then we were 3], another guy saw the bikes on the back of the Ute one day and chased us down, he also had a bike and was new to town [now we are four]. A neighbor was soon hooked and bought a bike, and obtained one for his mate also [now we are 6] The neighbor wanted a better bike so he sold the one he had to another friend [soon we are seven]. I'll cut a long story short, if it's not too late :D

We could not get the local dealer to ride with us yet but did get him to put trials related gear in stock, he also set part of the shop up with a display, and runs trial videos in store.
I put information posters and photos on the display board and have got many inquiries and new riders from that. We have a whole family that rides at times. We have a new dealer for electric trials bikes and had a young tacker riding an easy line on his electric bike at our last trial.

At that trial we had 20 riders, some could not make it, bloody mine workers :lol: and the spectating was by invitation only, bugger me if the local mayor and friends/family didn't show up and so many spectators that some of the riders said they were nervous. Now we are about 12 riders and growing, if only we had more bikes. :( Cheers Taff

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:28 pm

What a great story that is Taff!

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby noobmeister » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:20 am

yeah, that's awesome taff! so far i've gone more along the lines of online promotion and we've got about six new members in our club, but it seems guys in various countries have now bought trials bikes too which is great. i like the sound of your local approach and will definitely look into that with our club and local bike shops...

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Postby jml » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 pm

A general Facebook page would be a great, Currently there are a few smaller ones which are related to specific clubs but there really isn't (that I know of) a Facebook page that when I do a search on "Trials" comes up and brings the community as a whole together. "Australian Trials"/"Trials"/"Moto Trials" or something along that name would be good.

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby noobmeister » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 am

good point jml, i wonder if our over-worked organiser for this forum would want to take that on? would be a good way to steer more to the forum as well...

Any2wheels
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR200

Postby Any2wheels » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 am

Maybe this article from MQ can be spread around the enduro circuits & bike shops.

MQLD Link.
Last edited by PA on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed hyperlink.

I thought I could ride until I tried Trials

noobmeister
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby noobmeister » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:41 am

Any2wheels wrote:Maybe this article from MQ can be spread around the enduro circuits & bike shops.

http://www.mqld.org.au/index.php?id=97&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=13645&tx_ttnews[backPid]=95&cHash=41792c2af6

the coding used in this site won't allow the above to work properly as a link, it needs to be cut and pasted into your browser to see the article.

i wrote that with the idea of getting more dirt riders into trials and MQ have agreed to publish an article in every newsletter now. =D>

Stout
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Ossa TR280i
Club: TCC

Postby Stout » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Regarding the Facebook page suggestion, is there something wrong with this one?

https://www.facebook.com/TrialsAustralia

Return to “Trials Talk”