Road reg trials bikes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

skippy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Road reg trials bikes

Postby skippy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 am

Here is the problem... I'm wanting to get into trials (absolute beginner) and a bike that I can use for trail riding as well would be perfect. I'm thinking here of the Gas Gas Randonne or the Sherco X-ride.

With no rec reg in NSW it is difficult for riders to get anything like this registered, and it couldn't be ridden in state forest without registration. Could I get the bike certifed myself (as if it were a private import or a self-built vehicle and get full road reg? Would the cost be prohibitive?

skippy

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Re: Road reg trials bikes

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Half-heartedly looked into it a while back mainly because I can go out my driveway into state forest. Can't remember much other than I considered doing the dodgy with a crf compliance plate. Best bet is probably hit up Briggs & Davidson forums as I'd imagine they have more people getting custom frames. Unless someone here knows for sure. Everything I came up with via rta and dbw said it was pretty impossible :?

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm

The Randonne is currently being processed for ADR compliance and full road registration, but the government departments that are involved don't supply us with a time frame on completion. So it could be a month, it could be six to get the final documentation passed!
The Gas Gas Randonne has full European E9 ECE homologation so should roll through an individual compliance, but it also depends on what company you choose to do the compliancing work. We can put you in touch with a compliance engineer in Sydney if you need it.
The Randonne is on the SEVS register of vehicles, so an ICV can be done on it to get it road compliant.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

skippy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby skippy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

The Randonne fits my requirements near perfectly, as far as I can tell. I'd like to avoid an individual compliance if I could. Hope the powers that be get their... stuff together soon. Keep us all posted.

skippy

Any2wheels
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR200

Postby Any2wheels » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:02 pm

When they become ADR does anyone have an idea of purchase price?
It's pleasing to see the companies giving extra options.
Opens up so many riding places with state forests.

I thought I could ride until I tried Trials

No_Style
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby No_Style » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi mate,

So I'm in virtually the same boat as you. My understanding is that at this point in time the 250 and 350 KTM Freeride's are the only ADR'd trail/trials type of bike. I found lots of stuff saying the Ossa Explorer was going to be ADR'd, but it doesn't seem to have happened; and similarly for the Sherco X-Ride. I believe in both cases the economics of ADR compliance is what killed it (either that or it's an ungodly slow process that takes years...)

I was really hanging out for the Ossa Explorer, but it doesn't seem like it will happen :(
At this stage I'm thinking the Randonne might suffer the same fate as well, I hope it doesn't, but the odds aren't with it.

At *this* point in time i think the KTM's are your (and my) only option (though I would love to be proved wrong on that!). Good luck anyway, hope you find something to enjoy! :)

EDIT: I would be interested in talking with an engineer regarding ICV compliance, so if you can send some details in my direction on that front, it would be appreciated as it might be the only way of getting something other than a KTM registered...

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:24 pm

I saw the compliance engineers last week. They have a Randonne and are "confident" it will pass. More to come soon.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
whoever@thehellteam.com

skippy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby skippy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:28 am

Good news, guys!

The Randonne, X-Ride and Explorer are the only bikes on my short list. I really don't want a Freeride.

skippy

skippy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby skippy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I spoke with the local Sherco dealer on Saturday. They told me there was '...no ETA' on the X-Ride.

Bugger.

skippy

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Just to keep all informed: Gas Gas 200 Randonne compliance is coming along well. Unfortunately brake test was rained out at Eastern creek, but another venue is booked for early in the year. Things are looking good for Full Volume compliance.

whoever@thehellteam.com

Return to “Trials Talk”