prevention of stolen bikes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

prevention of stolen bikes

Postby outforfun » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi all, I was just reading that some low life has made off with another, well 2 more trials bikes.

It had me thinking a little, in the world of registered vehicles you need to provide an engine number frame number to help identify the bike. This can be cross referenced in the computer database and find if it had been stolen. While I do not want to add to the mountains of paperwork and computer stuff that goes on in the background of our great sport. I wonder if such a thing existed for trials bikes?

It seems to me that if the frame and engine number are in a database type thing, then stolen bikes in the trials scene are only going to be good for parts donors. This would lessen the saleability and usability of a stolen bike somewhat. It would also be good if you could check the numbers of your next purchase, before doing your hard earned dough. If a person did not wish you to check the numbers to see if it is a stolen bike, walk away and let the boys and girls in blue have a look at it.

Just a thought, such a thing may already exist to those who know but I don't.

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: prevention of stolen bikes

Postby Terryg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm

No there is noting in Queensland that I know of because trials bikes are never resisted so they wont be on a Government data base.

That was my fist concern when I bought my fist Aussie trials bike, I checked the number on the Gove website but of course nothing showed up.

I know some importers keep the VIN and engine number details perhaps all this could be collated into one national data base for perhaps a $10 fee as it may help a few people down the track.

I managed to insure my new Beta for it's full value for $230 with insure my ride but they really don't have many trials bikes listed, I was very lucky I got them to list mine, perhaps if a few more people phoned up they may list a few more.

I chain my bike to the frame of the shed, then lock the shed but it's so easy today for someone to use a potable cutter, I also have other security features but wont list them on here but if anyone is contemplating breaking in I do hope they like dogs.

JAKROO
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: nothing at the momen
Club: Pacific Park

Postby JAKROO » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Insurance is an interesting thing.....based on a call with them some months ago, I'm led to believe that my home contents insurance covers these sorts of things - unregisterable items used for personal use....ride on mower, excavator, tractor, motor/dirt bikes. All I need to do is ensure that I have enough overall financial coverage should the entire place burn down.

These days, securing an item is hard - the availability of battery powered grinders means chains are a problem for an extra 3 minutes.

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:47 pm

JAKROO wrote:Insurance is an interesting thing.....based on a call with them some months ago, I'm led to believe that my home contents insurance covers these sorts of things - unregisterable items used for personal use....ride on mower, excavator, tractor, motor/dirt bikes. All I need to do is ensure that I have enough overall financial coverage should the entire place burn down.

These days, securing an item is hard - the availability of battery powered grinders means chains are a problem for an extra 3 minutes.

I phoned my insurance company, they said mowers and tools etc are covered, but not motorbikes or trailers or things that can be used on the highway as they require their own insurance, but perhaps it's just my insurance company, also a lot of insurance companies wont insure trials bikes.

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:27 pm

If you have a roller door on your shed, drill a hole in the slide track about 1 meter off the floor. Place a padlock in the door rib so that as the p*&^% stealing your pride and joy has to lift it each rib of the door over it. It may slow them or even deter them.

A mate used to have a couple of unnamed graves near his front gate.
Never had a breakin, not sure if it made the difference. But it was always a good laughing point.

Rivenoak
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Rivenoak » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 pm

We live in what we think is a fairly safe area, we have been here for 30+ years. We have now installed lots of new security measures, shame we have to go to such levels and of course, too late now. I do agree with previous posts, if they really want it it will be gone.
Something else we took for granted, that the chassis number was on the paperwork. One bike which we purchased privately we have the numbers but the other there is no record, and unfortunately the dealer does not record them either. It appears we have been far too complacent.
I would urge everyone to make sure they have their chassis & engine number recorded. I think a national register would be a great idea, certainly would prompt everyone to obtain their numbers.
Have also checked our house policy, not something we thought of previously but friends asked if they would be covered under contents. Excluded under contents on our policy, motor vehicles, registered motorcycles, all motorcycles over 75cc and ride on vehicles.
And the sad thing was we were planning to start riding again in three weeks after being way too busy for the last few years. Bloody grubs!

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 am

Rivenoak wrote:Have also checked our house policy, not something we thought of previously but friends asked if they would be covered under contents. Excluded under contents on our policy, motor vehicles, registered motorcycles, all motorcycles over 75cc and ride on vehicles.
And the sad thing was we were planning to start riding again in three weeks after being way too busy for the last few years. Bloody grubs!

Yea scum....we can only hope they get caught a.s.a.p

Yes a lot of people think they are covered for trials bikes in their shed but unfortunately they are not.

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:31 pm

I have a dog that doesn't like anyone and a wooden bat.

I avoid doing anything with my bikes in the front or where people can see. No bike stickers or anything on cars or trailer. I don't tell anyone I ride bikes.

Return to “Trials Talk”