Looking to re-live my youth

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Looking to re-live my youth

Postby David Lahey » Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 pm

mtbrider wrote:Thanks for all the help so far. I have spoken to Col about his bike. What an interesting guy and so helpful. This bike sounds a gem and really restored to new and a museum piece that would be too good to ride. Although the museum piece just to look at and admire every day is tempting to me at this stage.
I am totally confused at this time about what I should do.
E bay at present has a 175 and a 250D (which was the model I owned previously) if any one can have a look at these for me on there and tell me what they think about these and guess what costs would be to get them to a rideable level or even if parts are available to do so. Hard to do from photos I know but any advice would be appreciated,

The TY250 currently on eBay may not be not what it seems. Yes it is advertised as a D model but has at the very minimum, an A model frame, an A model seat and seat surround and A model engine covers. It appears more likely to be an A model TY250 with a D model fuel tank and the seat surround and exhaust heat shield painted to match the tank colour. I have asked the seller for engine and frame numbers to try and confirm what model it is, but have not yet had a reply. I would not bid on that bike unless I had checked it out fully in person.
The TY175 is from the same seller so the same approach would apply to bidding on that bike.
In general terms, getting a twinshock trials bike to the point where it can reliably be competed on should cost less than $3000, including the cost of the bike and using your own labour. I have been through the process of acquiring and fixing up eight twinshock trials bikes in the past 13 years to get them to the point of being ready to ride in trials competition and the overall cost per bike has ranged from $1800 to $3500. As far as labour goes, I have outsourced very little (rebores mainly). If you were to pay someone to do the labour it would be very easy to spend $2000 more per bike. Unlike Col Aish's lovely museum standard restoration TYs, the bikes I have worked on have only been cosmetically improved enough to be recognisable as a particular model (I like the used look).
If you just want to ride the bike around rather than compete on it, you should be able to buy a twinshock trials bike and get it to a suitable standard for less than $1500 (using your own labour).

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Here is an illustration of what I mean by rideable. This bike was built from three basket-case TY250Bs. The cost of the bikes and the new parts came to about $3000. It is very nice to ride but nowhere near concourse standard appearance.
Attachments
21 Mar 2008 download 039 smaller.jpg

relax, nothing is under control

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 am

MTBrider!

I have to agree with Col Zar, Yamaha made a huge advancement with their ty range in the 80 & 90's and you can pick yourself up an early mono shock ty 250 with disc brake front end for around the $1K - $1500 mark. I started out on one and found it a great bike to learn on and very easy to ride.

I second the notion that it great to see our country's top riders provinding input into this forum. Most people wanting to get into trials start with researching on the net and with having these talented guys contributing to a great site only adds weight to the sport

cheers
Luke

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Postby kembro » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:19 am

From my limited experience of restoring vehicles. Generally much cheaper to buy one already done. Unless you want to customise.

IMHO Twinshocks are nice memorabilia. Mono's are a better ride. If you only want to ride over rough terrain then the TY's will be fine. If you want to push your skills, going up ledges etc... then the mono's will help you more.

mtbrider
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby mtbrider » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

I did buy Col's bike (TY 250 B) and so far have done a bit of tinkering put on a new front tyre and riden it about 70 klms. But only on tracks as it looks so good I could not bring myself to chance hurting it.
It is serving the purpose I brought it for.

But getting the bug to ride more again.

If I had some more garage room I would buy an every day rider but at this stage that needs to wait but still look on ebay everday hoping for a bargin that could live in the garden shed.

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby kembro » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 am

Good to here you've got your wheels. Post a pic.

mtbrider
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby mtbrider » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Here is the new (old) girl.

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby kembro » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 am

Wow that's freakin' tidy. I think I could see my reflection in it.
Nice bike enjoy. Now get out and muddy it up some.

PeterLecompte
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ossa, Ty, TL

Postby PeterLecompte » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Mtbrider, how has the last few years been going with the TY250B? Do you still have it tucked away or been riding. I am looking for a very nice TY250B and would be very interested in providing this fine example a good home. Call me on 0401802580. Cheers Peter

Return to “All about....me!”