A return to twin shock trials after a long hiatus.

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Andy-gadget
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Bultaco Sherpa t 350

A return to twin shock trials after a long hiatus.

Postby Andy-gadget » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi all, I am an Ex Queenslander, now a Hobart resident, just returning to Trials again.

I had been remembering my time in Mt Isa, in the '80's, doing my adult apprenticeship, and my TY175C, and how it made me such a better rider on everything else.
I had been sort of looking around for an old trials bike, and found one a couple of weeks ago, it also happened to be the bike I had most lusted after back in the day.

This is my model 92 Sherpa t 350.

Which is now in this state, as I fix some minor problems.

Like this.

I am a marine engineer, so I should be able to fix a two stroke this size, the two strokes I normally work on a three stories high, rev to 100 RPM and produce a piddling 20 megawatts or so.

A bit of a clean up and lots of practice, it has been many years, and twin shock trials in the apple isle awaits.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa t 350

keithj
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gas Gas 250
Club: OMCC

Re: A return to twin shock trials after a long hiatus.

Postby keithj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Welcome aboard Andy!

What exactly is that last photo of? Something cut off with a hacksaw by the look of it!

Keith.

-> Mouse Magnet <-

Andy-gadget
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Bultaco Sherpa t 350

Postby Andy-gadget » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27 pm

keithj wrote:Welcome aboard Andy!

What exactly is that last photo of? Something cut off with a hacksaw by the look of it!

It is the primary and clutch side drain plug, big time butchered, chose it as an indicative photo of the state of the motor, the gearbox one is about the same.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa t 350

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey Andy Gadget, as you probably know there are a few other ex-Mt Isa trials riders from the 1980s still riding trials in Queensland.
I was based in Townsville from 1988 to 1995 but only rode the trials held near Townsville and at Charters Towers.
What was it about the M92 that had you lusting for one?
Regards
David

relax, nothing is under control

nevgriff64
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Sherco 300 BMW/Ural
Club: Oakleigh Motorcycle Club

Postby nevgriff64 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 am

Welcome to the forum Andy..

Reciently purchased a Sherco 290 myself and just learning what these trials bikes are all about.. Shame I didn`t get into it a few years earlier as they really are alot of fun to play with.. Will follow your build with interest..

Nev.

fenton202
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1975 Bultaco Alpina
Club: TMTC

Postby fenton202 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 am

gday, ive recently got back into trials myself, did it as an early teenager but gave it away and took up enduro racing. Still racing now, but doing trials on the side. Ive recently taken ownership of Dads 1975 Alpina 350! Be good to see you at a few tassie trials events!

Hazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: TMTC

Postby Hazza » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Andy,

I am also an Ex Queenslander living in Hobart just over 2 years now and have got back into Trials this year riding a 1996 Scorpa, I rode Bultaco's & Montesa's in the 80's & 90's with the Logan River club and Trials Club of Qld, I am enjoying being back in trials again and a we have a good club here so see you around.

cheers Steve.

TaffyEvans
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Harley D
Club: None

Postby TaffyEvans » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Guys, I rode one of my last trials in Mt Isa back in '92 before retiring from trials later that year [thinking 50 was a bit old for motorcycle competition]. I was with the Rockhoppers Trials Club Alice Springs back then. I won a gold in "C" grade then, and now 20 years later in my second trial since taking trials up again in mid 2011, I won "c" grade again, in Townsville. Never say never. I ride a Sherco 2007 200 and I'm loving it. I notice that the bikes have changed out of sight but the type of good people involved in trials is as good as ever it was. Oh, I'm a Queenslander now.
Cheers Taff

Return to “All about....me!”