New member from Brissy

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Will
C grade participant
C grade participant

New member from Brissy

Postby Will » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi all,

Who am I? Why am I here?

Name's Will, I've been riding on and off road for just under 20 years (makes me feel old saying that). Due to certain medical circumstances I no longer have the desire to go fast in the bush anymore, well I do, I just can't afford the risks involved :)
That's why I'm here, I'm considering taking up trials as my new form of off-road riding.

This is also where I pose a question to all you experienced punters out there....... Where do I start, bike wise?
I only want to potter about in Novice/Clubman and level perhaps move up a grade or two if I'm any good later down the track.

I love the idea of the Twinshock class as my childhood was spent sitting on the tank of Dad's TY while he hoped around the scrub on weekends. I did my first wheelie on a TY, I had my first stack on a TY........... maybe I'm too sentimental? Maybe I should look at an entry level modern bike?

Any ideas to get me on the right track?

Thanks everyone :)

Will

sharpie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 250
Club: Oakleigh & SQTA

Re: New member from Brissy

Postby sharpie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Will and welome,
Found myself in the same situation a few years ago with work and injuries and almost 30 years since I had been close to a trials bike. The only thing I would say is that with an old twin shocks (and I do love them) you have all the same problems as you would with any old bike or car. I ended up with four prior to the wife saying "why don't you get rid of all that old crap, there never working properly any way and get a new one." She did not have to say that twice, I just did as I was told. Best move ever. I'm in Bris too if you want to have a spin round on mine. Also SQTA trial on the Gold Coast this weekend if you want to take a look.
Sharpie.

Will
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Will » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for your thoughts Sharpie, kinda what I was thinking regarding newer bikes.
I will try and get down to the Goldie this weekend for sure..... where abouts is the event being held?

Also any hints on places to punt around and practice in/near Brissy would be great :)

Will

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am

Don't give up on the old girls they are fun to ride and easy to work on....and I saw a late model one getting push started at the last trial. The internet has lots of help and the community of support is amazing. Also they make half decent trail bikes and between sections at least they have a seat to take the weight off old legs....

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

Will
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Will » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Reinald wrote: at least they have a seat to take the weight off old legs....

Hmmm........ very valid point there Reinald!

Will

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Will wrote:
Reinald wrote: at least they have a seat to take the weight off old legs....

Hmmm........ very valid point there Reinald!

Will

So do Gophers.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Will, you will learn all the special trials riding techniques much faster on a modern trials bike.

Some riders of a certain age find that when they get good enough riding their modern trials bike, they will reach a point where they find that the sections that challenge them become scarier and scarier in terms of the consequences of things going a bit wrong. At this point the options are to stay riding at that level and avoid further challenge, or to ride Classic or Twinshock or Sidecars, where the sections can continue to challenge but without riding scary terrain.

That is one reason I like riding Twinshock trials, but the main reasons is because once you are used to riding them, they feel wonderful to ride and are endlessly cool

relax, nothing is under control

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Who's a big girls blouse now then David???? :D

"The older I get the better I was"

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Diddly401 wrote:Who's a big girls blouse now then David???? :D

Yes I admit I was missing too much of my riding time due to broken bones and operations. The last straw was in year 2000 crashing my TY250Z on a big vertical and not being able to ride for 6 months

I would say you can't say too much though because I've yet to see you riding any of the scary stuff I was referring to

relax, nothing is under control

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Rather be safe than sorry old chap.
Take another look at my personal quote below. Kind of sums me, and a lot like me, up wouldn't you say?

"The older I get the better I was"

Return to “All about....me!”