New to trials

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

LJS
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2008 Scorpa SY250R

New to trials

Postby LJS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi All, riding home from town a few sundays ago i saw a banner on the side of the road saying 'Rocky Trials' or something like that, it was the word 'Trials' that caught my eye. As soon as i got off my bike i was welcomed by one of the club members who took me down to show me where the action was. Long story short, i was impressed with the friendliness of all the club members i spoke with. So i've now bought myself a trials bike, a 2008 Scorpa SY250R. I had a ride over the weekend and had a heap of fun but i'm not sure where i rode is legal to ride unrego'd bikes so i'm looking for somewhere to ride that is legal in the Gladstone/ Calliope :QLD: area or if the local club/s have practice weekends i would like to join in the fun and learn how to ride.

Cheers Les 8)

2008 Scorpa SY250R

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: New to trials

Postby David Lahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi Les I'm one of those people at that trial you watched. Yes it was the Rocky Trials Club and that was our first competition trial for the year.
Good to hear you have bought a trials bike. There are many trials run in the area. During the riding season there is something on about every two weeks in the Gladstone/Calliope/Rockhampton area. Some are competitions, some are training days, some are practice days, some are working bees getting properties ready for a trial, some are exploration rides looking for suitable sites for sections and some are riding demos for the public.
There two trials clubs in the area. The Rocky Trials Club Inc is one and the other is the Central Queensland Trials Club. Some trials riders ride with both clubs (me included).
As far as learning to ride goes, both clubs set sections for people of all riding atandards including rank novices so you can come and ride as soon as you like at a trial. As far as practice goes, most people practice where they live - you don't need much room to set up a training area to get the riding skills attuned to riding a trials bike if can already ride a motorbike. Another possibility for legal riding if you don't have a back yard is to practice at the MX track property at Benaraby, or join the local trail riding club who have a few suitable properties for practice riding. There are good books and videos available for tuition, and both clubs have MA accredited riding trainers who run group training sessions.

Both clubs have Facebook pages if you want to see the event calendars and find out more about what goes on.

The next trial for the Rocky Trials Club will be in the Calliope area on Sunday 29th April. You just missed a beaut ride yesterday at Seeonee Park near Rockhampton.

If you need more info than is on the Facebook pages, some contacts for RTC Inc are Angela Sophios (Secretary RTC Inc) 49750620 or myself David Lahey (RTC Gladstone Publicity Person) 49750236.
A contact for the CQTC is Cedric Van Heerden 49728294
Regards
David Lahey

relax, nothing is under control

LJS
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby LJS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks David, i found the RTC calender on this website but cant find anything for CQTC but will keeps my eyes open.
Looking forward to the next trials at Calliope.

Cheers
Les

2008 Scorpa SY250R

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

This should get you to the Central QLD site Les https://www.facebook.com/groups/208927422460273/

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

LJS
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby LJS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks Reinald, i'm not very verse in facebook, i cant seem to find any type of event calendar or upcoming events but i will get there :lol:

Cheers
Les

2008 Scorpa SY250R

phoenix75
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT Repsol
Club: Western Districts

Postby phoenix75 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Les, if you send me an email I will be able to put you on our emailing list

Hope to hear from you soon

Frank van Heerden
Central Queensland Trials Club
repsol06@westnet.com.au

VIVA MONTESA

Frank van Heerden

LJS
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby LJS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Thankyou very much Frank, I have just sent you an email.

cheers
Les 8)

2008 Scorpa SY250R

Return to “All about....me!”