The new guy

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Tomac
Junior participant
Junior participant

The new guy

Postby Tomac » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

G'day
I thought I might join this forum to get some insight before I get my first trial bike.

I'll start with why Im tinkering with the idear of trials, I developed carpel tunnel in both hands back in may 2010 on a 7 day trail ride through the Vic high country (my last ride). I finally got surgery on my left hand 1 month ago & it feels great. At my last visit with the Doc, I asked if I'll be able to ride again, the answer was YES. The problem is I sold my 2008 WR450 6months ago (witch I bought new). If I get another 450 I'll just put 8000ks on it like the last one & run the risk of getting carpal tunnel again from the long hill climbs in the high country. So the sound of a trial bike is very apealing because Im limted by the distance I can travel, & my wife & I have 5.5 acers in Bonnie doon (Lots of serenity lol) thats perfect for it. I also have a 10 year back ground from Freeride & DH mountain bikes before my WR & I was on the Banshee freeride team for 2 years back in 2004/5.

I like the look of the Ossa 280i because of the Olins rear end & the new "thinking outside the square" design, Is there any major problems with the Ossa ?

GasGas seem to be very popular too, what are they like compared to the Ossa ?

Im 35, weigh 90kg & Im 5'10, will these bikes handel my size & weight ?

Cheers in advance
Tomac

I hope I didn't brain my damage

Peter King
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Beta 125
Club: OMCC

Re: The new guy

Postby Peter King » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Tomac,

I'm <over 35!>, 6'2", 100kg & ride (not very well) a Beta 125 in C+ grade.

Don't be concerned about which bike - find a second-hand bike & try it for a season, you'll then have a much better feel for what suits you best.

Regards

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 am

Gday Tomac, Horsepower is not really an issue in trials unless you are riding world championships... I am 6'1, 110 kilos and ride a stock Beta EVO 250. A 200 would be better for me methinks! I also ride a TY 250 and 175 occasionally. It makes no difference for my level of skill really. As Peter said, get onto a second hand one and see how you go. Anything is OK, its more about the skills, especially when starting off - you will find many good riders on old dungers ride the pants off them and will beat riders on brand-new flashy things easily. Also be prepared to find out that it is not as easy as it looks! (but heaps of fun!)

Good luck and Cheers,

Stork

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Geoff Lewis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 am

Hi There Tomac, Why don't you go out to the OMCC grounds (Deals Rd Clayton Sth)with your family this Sunday or soon and speak to some people and perhaps cadge a ride from someone and you will soon find the info you seek. You will find that in trials scene there is always someone to help you and as for 2nd hand bikes you will find the Dealers always seem to have something for sale . The Victorian ones are Phill Whittle (Gas Gas) and Dave Ryan and Hugh Harvie (Beta) And they are able to arrange test rides of their new machines as well. There is always the elite option of Classic and Twinshock trials bikes as well. There is also a trial on this Sunday ( Details on this Website ) you could have a look.

Regards Geoff Lewis

GO CZ!

Tomac
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Tomac » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanx for all the replys
Its good to no that these bikes can handle the chunky beefcake riders too. :D
I spoke to Phill Whittle today about the gassers & he has been very helpfull & said he can set up a day for test rides. I must admit that Im guilty of being a fan of bling & the Raga model looks awsome but I'll look at the other options too. I'll come up to OMCC some time & have a look, when I get my bike I'll most likly become a member there. The only thing Im sure of is Im going to get one, I just dont no when.
Thanx again for the info

Can you get rec reg on these bikes ?

cheers
Tomac

I hope I didn't brain my damage

Return to “All about....me!”