Ossa Rider in Auckland

Who are you? Why are you here? Tell us about yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Safaribastard
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ossa 280i
Club: Waitemata

Ossa Rider in Auckland

Postby Safaribastard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi, I' m new to this forum, and am just introducing myself. Been a rider for about 5 or six years now after being interested as a young chap many years ago.
I started with a Scorpa Sy 250 and enjoyed two years of learning and dinging myself up. I then moved to a racing version but had to tone it down somewhat, she was a fiery little steed. Put a heavier flywheel in it and that did the trick. But the new Ossa had been in the wings and talked about for years and I saw the pix and fell in love. I ordered one and the dealer very kindly held it for me while finance sorted itself out. My first new trials bike at 55 years old!
My youthful idealized bike had been the 72 Ossa 250. It's green livery and shamrock logo really spun my wheels. Most were riding bultacos and a few montesas with the occasional villiers and BSA for good measure.
The Pioneer Motorcycle Club in Christchurch hosted the legendary Burt Munro at a standing and running mile course on the old tram road out of Christchurch. I was about 16 and was tasked with keeping the farmers inside their gates till the racing was done.
Old Burt brought an Ariel Square Four, and 1000cc Vincent Black Shadow.and his faithful old Indian. Stupendous bikes in their day. He had knurled aluminum handgrips that were razor sharp and the bikes were terrifically modified to be much lower and longer than standard. He lay on these fire breathers and the open tappers blew oil in his face. Mad as a cut snake. And a bit of a hero. I told him I liked trials. He said the Ossa was a good machine. He was right. Still are..

Return to “All about....me!”