Domino throttles?

Found a cool product? Want to let the rest of us know about it? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Domino throttles?

Postby Jools » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Naaah!
I had seen plenty of references to Domino throttles, so I got one for my TY175.
And, whilst I don't want to slag them off TOO much, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of quality.
Very basic plasticky stuff. It works, but...

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Domino throttles?

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Jools wrote:Naaah!
I had seen plenty of references to Domino throttles, so I got one for my TY175.
And, whilst I don't want to slag them off TOO much, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of quality.
Very basic plasticky stuff. It works, but...

What does a high quality twistgrip look like then?

relax, nothing is under control

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:36 pm

I can post a pic of a good one, it's the one I took off the bike, -but it's hardly worth going to the trouble.
I have an 'original' right angle twistgrip throttle that might have been on the TY from new, (let's say, what, 45-ish years?) It shows plenty of signs of scrapes and hits on rocks etc, but it still works just fine. It's made from METAL! (Remember that?) You could crack this thing sharply with a hammer and it would still operate nicely.

The Domino I recently bought has a very cheap 'n nasty construction and is a bad piece of industrial design (see below). Yes it works okay now, but A: it doesn't even have a cable adjuster on it (But ok, that's alright, you have to make sure you buy a cable with an easily accessible midway adjuster). The mounting screws consist of puny little encapsulated nuts embedded in pissweak plastic housings, -these ain't going to last very many on/offs, let alone your kid's less than sensitive allen-key touch I'd warrant.

But the real issue is that the design of the Domino relies on a paper-thin flat plastic cap that clips over the top of the twistgrip which is so puny I could crunch it up with my ancient rotten ol' teeth, let alone would it survive gentle drop on a rock! This plastic 'cap' clips over the top, and ANY damage at all to it would render the whole thing useless. (Because this cap ensures that the cable nipple stays in located the twistgrip it'd be useless if the cap doesn't clip perfectly on the top).

It's no biggie, I just wanted to give the heads up to other people that this Domino item is VERY ordinary. If I had my 'go' again, I'd pay twice as much for something better designed and of more substance.
(Well David, you DID ask!)

logan
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby logan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

=D> Interesting stuff!

TerrY
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta 200
Club: WDTC

Postby TerrY » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Jools,
What throttle is on your GG280? How well has it lasted? I'd guess it is a Domino and there have been no problems with it for "x" years.

Cheers,
TerrY

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:37 pm

harha Terry, actually I'm more worried about the bloody clutch on the GG! Don't tAlk to me about that! Scrumly twistgrip I could live with, but a clutch that won't hold fluid really pisses me off! LOve the thing, but what a pain that clutch!!!
:shock:

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:31 pm

and, Terry, you sound like a politician..... answering a question with a question about something else! :twisted: :wink:

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am

But of course you're dead right Terry, Domino on the gasser, -I take it all back! :oops:

Return to “Product reviews”