Cartridge emulators for 1970s forks

Found a cool product? Want to let the rest of us know about it? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Cartridge emulators for 1970s forks

Postby David Lahey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 pm

No you just have to machine enough off the end of the aluminium spring mount so that the axial hole through the middle of it is fully exposed. The amount you shorten it by is not critical because you will have to shorten the existing preload spacer anyway to end up with the same preload as before the mods. From memory I machined down to just past the radial holes, which also from memory was the same position as the end of the steel damper rod. I now wish I had taken photos while it was apart.
The photo shows a standard TY250 damper rod and the pen is pointing at where I machined down to.
Attachments
IMAG2786.jpg

relax, nothing is under control

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 am

Thank you David.

That sound right, I will do the machining either thid friday or the next and post picture so you can correct me or it will serve as an exemple.

Guy

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 am

I did the machining of the top of the damping rod ( I would have liked to post a picture but the file is too big ) and the lenght of the top from the circlip up is .965 inch. I also drilled the holes on the buttom of the rod. I should reassemble the fork this week or the other, but I don't think I will be able to test it soon, it' MINUS 11 cel. this morning and maybe snow this week.
If you anybody want picture, PM me I will send some to you.

Guy

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 am

Thing did not go as expected for the test I wanted to do with the cartridge emulator, but I did what I could. I wanted to keep the old setup, take picture in a rocky section and try again with another fork setup with the emulator. Weather and time to go to the test site did not cooperate. But, here what I was able to do. I put the setup with the cartridge in on the bike and went for an hour of riding. I had setup the cartridge with the unpainted spring with only 1 turn of load on the valve. Previously measured the lenght of the spacer bushing on top of the spring, machined a new bushing that give me the exact same tension on the spring and filled the fork with 165 cc of 15w fork oïl. My feeling are: about the same sag with the bike resting , the fork sag a little more when I get on the bike ( all is logical ) but when I ride and hit a rock, i dont feel the '' jerk '' on the handle bars as nuch and I can keep steering the bike more easely because the front wheel does'nt hop from rock to rock as much. For a first test I am very please with the results. I don't know if my feeling is ok so I would apreciate if anyone can confirm that I am on the right track.

Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes you are on the right track Guy

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Don't get ripped off when buying 'emulators'. There's a company that charges way too much for these. Ripoff! I got mine from another company for around 50 bucks, they work a treat.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:44 am

Please give us the coordonate of that company.

Guy

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 pm

I finaly had the chance to go riding, testing last weekend. I test at first with half a turn on the chrome spring and went down to a 1/4 turn . It's is feel better over small to mediun rock, but I feel that the fork bottom up easely, so I will had oïl progressively to the 165cc I originaly put in and test. I don't want to mess around with the low speed compression orifice yet, I will get in touch with the cie to check if spare are avalable.
Guy

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:27 am

Here's where you can get cheaper emulators See the link below, to the 'Mikes XS' site:
Quality is excellent. I paid about $55 plus postage for a pair, which really improved the front end of my RZ250 Yamaha.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-19.html

-Jools

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:41 am

Jools wrote:Here's where you can get cheaper emulators See the link below, to the 'Mikes XS' site:
Quality is excellent. I paid about $55 plus postage for a pair, which really improved the front end of my RZ250 Yamaha.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-19.html

-Jools

I notice that set of valves on the mikesxs website says it is for 35mm forks. TY250 forks are 34mm so be careful.

Return to “Product reviews”