Monkey Bones

Found a cool product? Want to let the rest of us know about it? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shawn James
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco 2012,TY Pinky

Monkey Bones

Postby Shawn James » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:28 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121140047911 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Has anyone seen or have these?
They look like they would help.

Shawn from T-bar {Toowoomba}

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Monkey Bones

Postby David Lahey » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:03 pm

They don't look strong enough to protect the levers from bending/breaking when the bike crashes
They look like something else to get injured by when you crash
They effectively make the bars a fair bit wider (harder to fit through gaps)
They add to the mass moment of inertia of the steering (very important in trials)

relax, nothing is under control

TerrY
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta 200
Club: WDTC

Postby TerrY » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:24 pm

I am not sure but I think these are the things that the MotoGP riders have on their bikes to stop their fingers getting trapped between the end of the bars and the road when they fall. Many road racers have lost the little finger from this grinding. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 pm

More to do about accidental operation of the front brake in particular during close racing. If you scroll to the bottom of that ebay ad, it describes the intended purpose.

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Postby jml » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:46 pm

I believe the purpose of these on MotoGP bikes is to stop incidents occurring when bikes brush each other and can result in accidental engagement on the brake, for instance the video and link below. They're definitely not strong enough to prevent a bent lever on fall as I've seen them snap off easily with excessive force. I think you would struggle to pass tech with these on as they look kind of awkward to fall on. I would say your options are getting some bark busters or just having an inventory of spare levers.

On a side note, bar ends seem to be what prevent you from crushing your fingers. This is kind of controversial as some people believe they are for weighting the bars or elimination of vibrations. But from what I've read there isn't any real source of truth. I guess some benefits of bar ends include plugging the bar end to prevent injury, increasing the distance between your pinky and the ground, giving the bike something to slide on of it's tipped over.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/mot ... in-motogp/

GetemPatch
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ducati848
Club: Hangmore

Re: Monkey Bones Pro Lever Guards

Postby GetemPatch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:51 am

Shawn James wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121140047911?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone seen or have these?
They look like they would help.

Yeh i bought a set, fitted them and went riding. They fell apart after three short rides as the screws worked loose. The lever guard fell off somewhere. I then emailed the company Roost Industries to offer feedback that they should tell customers to secure screws with loctite or put a flyer in the packaging like in levers (lever fitment advice) and they didnt reply to my emails. Guess customer service isnt big on their agenda. In summary mate: waste of money, dont bother. You can buy other lever guards for cheaper made of same CNC Aluminium on eBay now anyway.

Return to “Product reviews”