1999 Sherco 2.5 Suspension and Wheels

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ashwaters
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Sherco 2.5

1999 Sherco 2.5 Suspension and Wheels

Postby Ashwaters » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi All,

Brought a what I believe is a 1999 Sherco 2.5 a few months ago, the motor seems in good nick after replacing the shiftier spring behind the clutch. Next on the list is suspension and wheels.

Tonight i pulled apart the forks and it seems as though it has dampening on one side (No spring) and spring in the other side. Has anyone come across a manual for the tear down similar to this one?
http://www.lewisportusa.com/manuals/she ... ment-1.pdf

The fork stanchions have some pretty deep scratches so i have decided to get them re-chromed as I can get the pair done for the price of one new stanchion. Or if I could find a set of later model complete forks that would fit maybe I could save some money! Does anyone have a set laying around lol?

After a bit of research I have seen that spokes and nipples seize together quite easily, and after repairing a flat the other day I found i have this very problem lol so I have found a pair of rims off a 2006 Sherco 2.9. Would anyone know if they would fit mine? Mine are a 36 spoke and the other are 32 spoke so it cancels out swapping hubs.

Cheers!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: 1999 Sherco 2.5 Suspension and Wheels

Postby David Lahey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm a bit lost about why you need new rims after fixing a flat tyre and fiddling with some spoke nipples. There should be a rubber wedge ring inside the rear rim that seals the air in. If you don't want to work at getting the wedge ring to seal, you can fit an inner tube to hold the air in

relax, nothing is under control

Ashwaters
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Ashwaters » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:18 pm

I'm having to replace the spokes/nipples because when I go to tighten the spokes the nipples are seized. When I undo them it strips the thread from the nipple. The rim has also started to oxidise.

I'm not sure what the wedge should look like but I only have a rubber band protecter like one on my motocrosser!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:38 pm

relax, nothing is under control

Ashwaters
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Ashwaters » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Cheers mate, brought them today and there on there way. Need to find a deal like this for the rims and spokes now!

Return to “Technical help”