Get a bit more bounce

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mongerrr
C grade participant
C grade participant

Get a bit more bounce

Postby mongerrr » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:51 pm

At my last club trial, I noticed some of the other riders being able to bounce the bike around really easily. I realise this is mostly due to better technique and body positioning than me, but it does make me want to ask some questions about tyres and suspension.

When setting up the suspension for trials riding is it better to have a bit less compression damping and a lot more rebound? Also what pressures do people use for club trials? I generally run with 3.5psi in the back tyre, but everyone seems to say that is too high.

My setup generally works well for my regular trials riding (a bit of trials practise and a bit of free riding) but it just seems less springy than what it should be for a club trial

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Re: Get a bit more bounce

Postby holster » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 pm

I have the same question.
I have a 2012 :sherco Cabestany Replica and it seems to be alot less springy than my son's :gasgas 125.
How much difference does the rear suspension setup make when trying to bounce the front wheel? (I ask because the biggest difference in the bikes is in the bounciness of the rear suspension on the bikes mentioned.
Does anyone know of any links to setup info for trials bikes?

I'll be playing with the damping settings tomorrow so will post my finding's here

Holy

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Re: Get a bit more bounce

Postby holster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:21 am

In answer to my own question, unwinding the rear shock damping has made the whole bouncing/hopping thing much easier. Front wheel hops are easier and bunny hops are higher. Biggest difference I noticed was doing stoppies - the rear wheel comes up much easier (nearly sent me over the bars the first attempts :-D )

Still some work to do on the front forks but it's pretty cool to see immediate improvements after some small tweaks to the bike.

Return to “Technical help”