Parts commonality for TLR250r-Import 1986

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Nil balance
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: tlr250r
Club: none

Re: Parts commonality for TLR250r-Import 1986

Postby Nil balance » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:17 pm

:? Well gentlemen, have I opened a can of worms? Seems to me the 80s era was to get out bikes as quick as possible and bore and stroke sizes were tossed out the window with the 2x 250s mentioned..The TLR250R-G 1986, must have been hastily made so as the Japanese could have a regoed bike for the week day travels and a bit of Trail/Trials per say on the weekends And the true trials bikes trailered to competitions .Anyway , I will keep looking as you never know what might turn up. Surely there must be some new old stock available, as Honda would have had enough spares to cover this bike for a few years, even if only made for one year. Not too worry , I will check out different sites and I might be surprised!!!!
Now have no balance, as pinched nerve in lower back and causing numb right thigh muscle. Wife reckons old age!!!!
Good to read techo stuff about these bikes.

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:07 pm

As I remember it back in the day, (memory not to be trusted!), after the cute, unkillable, uncompetitive TL125, Honda released the TL250, which was pretty nice but way overweight for serious competition. Then came the 250 RTL which was competitive, and was dead cool, it seemed pretty exotic and expensive, and rare. But then they released the TLR250 we thought that Honda had finally come up with something reasonably competitive, maybe not quite an A grade bike, but pretty useful, and a 4-stoke at that. I think they sold plenty, there seemed to be quite a few around in Victoria at least.

Many of the trials bikes of the time came with lighting sets, particularly because the UK market, with their longer trials comps (some of which included public roads as well as trials sections) required it. Doesn't mean they weren't 'serious' trials machines. Honda produced variants of the TL and TLR for some years after but I don't think they were imported into Australia. Later of course Honda swallowed Montesa and they were 2-strokes.

I'm sure someone will correct my errant memory!

Hope your back improves mate... been through that. You MUST get it fixed before it does permanent nerve / sciatic damage. The longer that pinched nerve goes on the more the risk of permanent damage.
(I speak from experience!)

Nil balance
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: tlr250r
Club: none

Postby Nil balance » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 pm

:D Jools, yes have had Sciatica in left side but right side , have no idea what cause it. Not compo just sick leave.Have had for about 8 weeks and leading up to that have had some long days travelling in Medium rigid truck and Ford Ranger (960 ks in a day, Newcastle to Yass and back) but i was comfortable and had a walk around every couple of hours, so st-ffed if I know.Physio next couple of days and go from there. As for the Mighty TLR250RG, well mate said dont worry to much about if something needs attention look at it later.Just use it instead of leaving it for the seals to go hard.!!!! So thats what I will do.Havent been able to get up to my property as the rain has not let up, so It will be good to see what it and I can do. Just like to get fuel through it as it has 2 tanks and looks like vacuum pulse pump to get fuel to carby from tank below seat stills works .It suposedly has 6 ltr capacity. Look out !! ,, any thing could happen.
Thanks for info , enjoyed chatting.
Scott (Nil Balance, some thing I believe I need for trials poking).

Return to “Technical help”