TY 175 Upgrades?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

TY 175 Upgrades?

Postby Jools » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 pm

A quart out of a pint pot? Is it possible?
I'd like to optimise my (Ashton's) TY175c. I've seen a few suggestions on the forum in various threads, but I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for improvements/upgrades for performance and functionality. The bike (and kid) completed their first trial last weekend without missing a beat which is good, but I'm sure there would be improvements we can make.
But (sorry distributors), this ain't about expenditure. I'm looking at improvements I can do spending minimum dollars.
Eg, I'd guess that the footpegs need to go down and back a touch, with a broader shape, -I can do that, have a welder and a big hammer... (but it won't be pretty!)
What else? - Any ideas greatly appreciated.

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Re: TY 175 Upgrades?

Postby outforfun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am

Hi Jools, I have made a small change to the foot pegs on mine.
I got some flat bar and wrapped it around the original but made the loop longer and a bit wider, a small bit of bar was needed to space out the mod piece. It's now the same size as the pegs on my Sherco and other bikes.

Plenty of room for my foot to get better control of the bike. However, the kick start lever now doesn't clear the peg so the peg needs holding up to start the bike.

I have not altered the position of the peg though.

Hope this helps you.

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:52 am

The footrest thing was an issue for me as well, I was fed up with folding or hooking the right hand rest out of the way to use the kick start .
I went the opposite way to the last post and shortened my footrests so that the kick start lever missed it.
I don't even notice any difference, I shortened both sides and the whole bike is narrower so a small advantage there.

Pre 65 Classic bikes

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Ideal footpeg position (and handlebar rise and position) depends on the size of the rider.
Standard TY175s are pretty much spot-on until a kid grows above average adult size.
The only other no-budget things would be getting the motor running properly (timing, carburetion, air filter, exhaust) and setting up the controls (brakes, throttle, clutch, handlebars) properly.

relax, nothing is under control

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks lads. I've got the donk running pretty well spot on, though there's some piston-slap, but nothing drastic yet!
all controls are pretty good now I've set 'em up, so what I might do is just make an extra loop on the pegs to spread the load and maybe add a little improvement in control.
The spring is missing on the RH peg, P.O. obviously removed it to make it easy to hook up for kickstarting.

Return to “Technical help”