Muffler packing

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Muffler packing

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:18 pm

I pulled my muffler off while trying to figure out how to get a rounded allen head out of my water pmp and decided to repack it.

Would my bike have some sort of wire mesh stuff wrapped around the inner core of the muffler as standard or has someone put this in later?

How do I get all the built up shit out of the header?

What's a decent price to sell a 2000 Sherco in top condition? Seriously :lol:

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:06 pm

Lukey

Chances are if your header/muffler is that full of c#@* then everything else you find in there is what was meant to be in there ('cause it's never been looked at afore)!

I think you can buy repacking kits. The fact is you need to get out more. All those hops and nose wheelies in the backyard are adding to the gunk in the header/muffler. I give all my bikes at least one good 5km trail ride for every couple of trials practice rides this keeps the fluff in the snuff box clean and dry (not an issue with a 4stroke), or ride up a very long 3rd gear hill to heat up the muffler and clear it out. (what oil are you using????)

Dents in header pipe, good luck, most times whatever you do will only make it look worse!

What's the ole Sherco worth???? If it is a good one (like Neo's)...ask him!

If you are asking me......around the $3k mark but????? Send me some pics when you have it back together and I'll work out a trade on my '04 SY ?????

And while i'm at it......being bored is no excuse for putting up numerous posts........(being injured is 8) ) If you don't have the motor running just stay in the shed and balance :P

Then you can post brags about how long you balanced for :wink:

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:38 pm

I don't need to practice balancing. I can do it for as long as I like and turn the front wheel side to side while staying up :P

I've just being hopping around the front yard for an hour or so becuase I don't have the parts to put it back together yet :( I'll try and get a video up of it sometime.

You're injured again? :shock:

I'm going to have to go back to doing 4th gear wheelies up and down the street to clear out the muffler :lol:

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi Lukie,

Does your muffler box look like this?

If so, there is only one way to get this open. And that is to cut it open, and then re-weld it back together again (as illustrated). Not for the faint hearted, but I’m told there is a guy in Gosford that can do this sort of stuff (and he does burn outs as well) if you want the contact details......?

If your muffler looks like the ones on the Gassers and Cota’s then it’s easy to do. Just pop down your local bike shop and buy a pack of muffler packing. You put this stuff in loose, so there is more than enough in one pack. You also need a drill and pop rivet gun. I would change any rubber (on an 00, I think) seals at the same time.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

whoopachang
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby whoopachang » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:30 pm

you could use degreaser and some type of brush that will fit in the header pipe to clean the carbon out.

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby S.E.Lucas » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Mine is the old square one. I've already taken the end off. It looked like the core was just slipped in there and held in place with the end cap so I hit it with a hammer and bent some of it... then found 4 little welds hiding under some orange goo stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:24 pm

Lukey

You bin hangin out wivda bush mechanic???? :lol:

The only thing you use a hammer for in MotoTrials is putting in section markers!!! These bikes are sweet n pettit and should be looked after like a good woman, not an old tractor. Take to the Girlie with a hammer and see how well she responds :shock: :P :wink:

Oh well, itis only a Sherco I guess, so no harm done :twisted:

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby S.E.Lucas » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:27 pm

It was one of those rubber hammers so it wasn't that bad :lol:

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:32 am

Depending upon the make and type of exhaust silncer, you can repack the silencer casing with Rockwool wrapped around the baffle tube. The gauze mentioned in a previous post may well have been spark arrester material, which really should go back in or be replaced for obvious reasons in Australia.

Note: Don't use the fibreglass ceiling insulation. use Rockwool like that used in Bradford Insulation Sounscreen. Buy the pack with thinner sheets. Use gloves when installing as some people get a minor reaction to it. A huge pack costs say $50 and will do the exhausts for the whole club!!! We use it in our 2 stroke KTM Pro Seniors and Mini Adventures - and change the packing every few motos. If you use a pressure washer on your bike, the packing can easily get soaked through with water and that can cause all sorts of odd behaviour on your bike.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:50 am

Cutting open mufflers!!! I'll stick to my TY and just drill the rivet outta the end cap to repack it. It may be over 30 years old, but I've treated her nicely and she reponds gently! :wink: :wink: 8)

Feet up, as always!

Return to “Technical help”