Kill switch for Sherpa T

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Grant H
Junior participant
Junior participant

Kill switch for Sherpa T

Postby Grant H » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 am

I've just bought a new kill switch for the Bully I'm restoring. :D

The switch has one wire & an earth. I connect the switch to the wire going to the coil, there by earthing it when pressed, killing the motor. Is this correct? :?

Is there a position the regulations dictate for it ?

Are requirements for such things ( Handle bar plugs ect.) listed somewhere on the internet ?

Many Thanks

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:43 pm

Grant

So long as you have one and it works is all yhat is in the regs. Most riders seem to have them on one side of the bars but quite a few also put the switch in the middle between the clamps. At least in the middle it is easy to get to but also well protected.

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Kill switch for Sherpa T

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Granth wrote:I've just bought a new kill switch the bully I'm restoring. :D

It has 2 main wires & a small earth. Is the earth not needed & can be removed (As its not electronic ignition) & use the 2 main wires to break the wire going to the coil ? :?

Hi Granth
I wasn't sure which wires you were talking about so I've tried to cover options here. Sorry if it is too much info.

One of the wires coming from the engine is the ignition primary coil wire. This wire should be earthed by pressing the killswitch.

One of the other wires coming out of the motor is the lighting coil wire. If you earth this and run the engine it will probably burn out the lighting coil.

I suspect the third wire coming out of the motor on your bike is the stator earth wire.

I suggest you retain an earthing system using a wire ie an earth wire connecting the stator earth, the HT coil earth, the kill switch earth and the bike frame.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Grant you found a kill switch for a Bulto? Well done! I had one on my Sherpa T, didn't work too well trapped underneath the bloody thing. I found a sure way to stop it though... I tried to ride gracefully over a 'dry' dam and found myself over the 'bars after getting about 3 ft into the dam. All you could see of the bike was the front guard and 'bars. It sank real quick! Took me 3 hours to get it out.

Feet up, as always!

theMISSIONARY
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby theMISSIONARY » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:18 am

hello i used to own several bultacos one off my alpina's had a kill switch problem (i stacked and found the prob) the EARTH was the handle bar the positive was the only wire going to it so in my stack i got a shock from the broken switch!
so make it two wires mate :D

its not when you fall.....its how far!

Return to “Technical help”