ever had a wee bit too much air filter oil??

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

ever had a wee bit too much air filter oil??

Postby seiko » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:36 pm

G'Day all!

Call it a beginners thing but I cleaned out my air filter last week but was unsure on how to re-oil it and didnt have the spray on stuff but had a bottle of the oil so I, er, put a wee bit too much on and seemed to have drowned my poor lil bike.. (now I dont want to hear any women jokes now ok ;-) ) I cleaned out the carby, and soaked the exhaust to clear out the access oil that ad blown through there (yeah, THAT much oil....) and mixtures are set to 2.25 turns out. Lil fella still has trouble idleing when pointing downhill (particulary after a blip with the throttle) Pain in the arse on downhill steep sections where my hands are pre-occupied on the brakes n clutch so dont have the easy ability to keep revving the throttle as I slide down the hill, so she'd stall. Perhaps the floats are the problem?? Am I able to adjust where they float too? I think that maybe when pointing downhill the floats are at a point where they close the fuel intake and starve the engine?? Hmm..... not too sure here but any help would be appreciated. Anyone know of any possible damage to the engine that may be caused by airfilter oil running through it??

bryan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby bryan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:54 am

This may be a stupid question, but have you cleaned the oil out the air box?

I would have thought that would be the likely culprit, when the bike has trouble on downhills.

I can't imagine why the float level adjustment would have changed from oil in the air intake tract - two separate parts of the carb.

Sounds like it needs a long ride up a steep hill to clean out the system.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 am

Seiko, I did the same years ago and I closed the airbox breather hole 'cause it was raining hard! So the combination of too much oil and not much air made for a very cranky TY250! It took me a couple of hours to sort out the problem and clean out the airbox, carby and a good ride to clear it all out. Good luck, next time just put enough oil to dampen the filter and squeeze it through and let it drain the excess oil before putting it all back together. Do not wring the filter( I did that too) that just destroys the filter.

Feet up, as always!

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

Postby seiko » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:38 pm

This may be a stupid question, but have you cleaned the oil out the air box?

Yeah, cleaned it out with petrol, then re-oiled using a mates spray on Belray. Much tidier, and no where near as much oil ;-)

Hmmm.. yeah might just need a decent blat session.. may just try and find some hills this weekend me thinks....

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:07 am

What I suggested at the trial about your idling problem was that if the float needle was leaking an engine can load up with fuel due to a higher than ideal fuel height. This problem is usually noticed first when going down hills due to the attitude of the bike causing the incorrect fuel height to have a greater effect and because the engine is not able to cope with the flooding when it is not doing much work.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:19 am

The downhill idle problem may be caused by filter oil partially blocking the idle circuit.

There is no benefit in oiling any surfaces downstream of the air filter.

Return to “Technical help”