Repacking a muffler

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Repacking a muffler

Postby richardr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi Folks,
Anyone out there got the hot tips for repacking a muffler on a 2004 Beta?

It looks pretty nasty in there and I would like to do a proper job if I am going to pull it all apart and clean it etc.

What do I use? How much of it do I use and how do I put it in for the best results?. . . . and NO, those wen't sexual questions!!

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 pm

I repacked mine using MCS (i think) muffler packing from the local bike shop. Packed it pretty firm but not too tightly otherwise it would be like having a straigh through pipe.

My tip is don't use a mallet on it :oops:

whoopachang
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby whoopachang » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi,

Your probably better off just buying a new one as im sure its a pain in the bum job and i dont think new ones cost that much anyway.

But i suppose repacking would be cheaper if youve got the time to muck around with it.

Bad_fruit
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Bad_fruit » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi Richard.

Repacking your muffler is no bid deal, and certainly worth while. Benefits inclued lower emmissions, Proper engine perrformance, better sounds, and if you get it really hot one day (blast along the road), it won't catch fire! :shock: I would recommend around every 50 hours riding, for a normally 70/1 oil, but not often over-revved machine.
First take the whole muffler off - that is the rear section secured by a bolt in the sub-frame.
Then take out the rear black bit with 2 phillips head screws in it. The packing should come out with this. if it doesn't pull it out.
Clean everything. Get as much built up carbon off the centre perforated pipe and inside the muffle as you can.
To replace, wrap as much packing around the pipe as you can, firm is better, it shouldnt be super tight.
Insert the inner section into the sheath, at this point look into both ends to make sure everythign in ligning up OK. you can also poke some packing through the other end just before the inner tube seats.
Make sure everything is sitting OK and then replace screws.
It will probably be worth replacing the 'O' rings on the expansion chamber, also a seal with high-temp sillicone works well.

Anyway, do it, it's not hard and has real benefits.

Cheers,
Chris.

signature virus :Please copy:

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 pm

I use Bradford Insulation "Soundscreen". This is rockwool which doesn't burn or breakdown.

I bought a full bag for about $45 years ago. I think I have used one sheet so far, so at this rate I have a life supply.

Return to “Technical help”