Disc Brake Play

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cameron J
C grade participant
C grade participant

Disc Brake Play

Postby Cameron J » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi,

re: 2001 BETA 250 REV-3 Brake Rotor Movement

I have noticed my disc brake rotors are moving relative to the wheel (front and rear). The movement is restricted to one plane, the plane of rotation, they don't seem to be moving side to side. It's only noticeable if I hold the brake on and apply forward or rearward pressure to the handlebars. The bolts holding the rotor to the hubs are tight.

There seems to be a few mm play - is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron J

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Disc Brake Play

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Cameron J wrote:Hi,

re: 2001 BETA 250 REV-3 Brake Rotor Movement

I have noticed my disc brake rotors are moving relative to the wheel (front and rear). The movement is restricted to one plane, the plane of rotation, they don't seem to be moving side to side. It's only noticeable if I hold the brake on and apply forward or rearward pressure to the handlebars. The bolts holding the rotor to the hubs are tight.

There seems to be a few mm play - is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron J

I wouldnt thinks so, I would have to have a look at my own bike to check, but they are not floating disk as to Floating Caliper that they are.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Postby richardr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:35 pm

My rear brake disk on my 2004 Rev 3 also has a slight movement of maybe 1mm . That is it can rotate ever so slightly . . . no movement side-to-side.

All the nuts holding the disk are tight as a. . . (well you know what), and Locktite on them so they haven't loostened or moved. It doesn't seem to affect the brakes performance and there is zero play in the front wheel disk - only on the rear wheel disk, so I have just kept an eye on it each week, making sure its not getting any worse.

grouch
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Beta Rev3 250

Postby grouch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Cameron, yes this is normal - they are supposed to have a small amount of play in them.

Phil

Return to “Technical help”