Centre Spoke Rims

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Centre Spoke Rims

Postby BJ » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a centre spoke rim (like the more modern Monty's and older Beta's) that would lace into my wifes 84 Monty 348T. Or if there is a better way to run a tubeless trials tyre on it?

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Centre Spoke Rims

Postby David Lahey » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Do you mean the rim with a central flange for the hooked ends of the spokes?
I reckon they are great rims and have wondered why the more modern bikes have the rubber sealing wedge type rim (maybe its a bit lighter?).

I think you may have problems getting the 348 hub to work with the flange rim because the hub will be hard to modify to suit the nipple end of the spokes. One (complicated) way to do this is to get double hooked spokes with a turnbuckle halfway along each spoke!!

I think normal practice for converting twinshocks is to use the modern tubeless rubber wedge type rim and have the spokes shortened a bit to suit.

BTW, TY250Z Yamahas also have those lovely flanged tubeless rear rims.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Other options:
I've heard that the tubeless tyre beads can be reshaped so the bead stays in place on rims like your 348T.
I've also heard that it can be accomplished by reshaping the rim where the bead sits (sorry I don't have the details tonight).

Of course both of these methods are a bit dodgy from a structural safety viewpoint and require the use of a tube anyway but I suspect you want to do this so you can use your half-worn tubeless tyres on the 348T.

The rim swap is what people do to get the performance benefits of a tubeless tyre for their older bikes.

relax, nothing is under control

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks David

I think I might just stick with a tube after all. Most of the work the bike will do is trail riding anyway so the need for very pressures is not that great. You are right about using used tyres on the wifes bike, only thing I never seen to wear them anyway. I'm still riding on tyres that are two seasons old and look almost new :shock:

I am looking for a rear sprocket for the 348, Talon only have blanks, It is currently running a 38T but I would happily go to a 44T. I have been told I have it on the road for her by November so if anyone has one laying around.

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Return to “Technical help”