ty 250 mono aftermarket parts

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: ty 250 mono aftermarket parts

Postby FM350 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 am

Off set crank pin very easy to do. Simply find a motor with a rod the length needed, but which uses a bigger diameter crank pin, and get the ends of the pin offset ground to fit the Yam flywheels. I would guess thats probably how some of the Shirt bikes were done, as its cost effective and easy to do.

The 340 is very soft and easy to ride, not quite as much go as a 249cc Fantic but completely different to any TY I have ever tried. It has more go than the Chris Koch bike, which I think is hampered by the exhaust system.

I would guess that the short stroke crank and upping the bore size, some work with Devcon around the inlet port area, adjusting the squish properly, and a larger volume exhaust, is going to mean a very big improvement on the TY mono, not to the same extent as one of the chrome bore works bikes, but still not bad and much better than std issue.

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 am

Tomorrows UK Normandale round is the Angela Redford trial and for that I have the greatest Mono After Market part imaginable ..... Mr No-Throttle himself .... Phil Alderson riding near me !! Should be an object lesson in itself of how to ride a TY Mono!! Hope I can keep up ?? :?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:24 am

Is it true that only 20 TS/P65 riders are entered?

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:46 am

I would estimate about 15 tops ....... and 1/2 those probably only did 1 lap !! It was a very hard trial IMHO and I took 1 look at that last gulley and turned around!! I would put it on a par with some Scott sections, my strength and stamina have gone after 12 weeks working in OZ so no bike fitness and normally I can just about hang on in jumbled rock sections but this was out of my league..... !!
I expect a lot of grumbles to come !!! Rappers did a superb job and I know its a National round etc etc but it was aimed at Seniors.
Koch on a Yam Mono !! Phil Alderson on a Yam Mono !! Me on my butt !! :(

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:32 pm

I wonder when those running national events catering for older riders on current bikes, as well as supposedly for TS and P65, will take on board the fact that such events are meant to be fun? Those responsible for this event seemed very keen on hammering home the nails in the coffin of the series, and I would guess next year there will be no TS/P65 classes, and as the going gets harder and harder to take marks from 5-6 top modern riders. the numbers will reduce even more and ultimately the series will finish.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:06 pm

I think when the bike availability runs out, TS will die soon after, so we should feel special :-s

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:32 am

I think there are still hundred of bikes out there yet to be discovered, how many of them make it back to life depends on getting new blood into the sport ... and that depends on sensible sections.

Now with regards to the AR trial, the nature of the hard land used meant that the sections where hard, but I maintain you can have easy sections on hard land. Take section 1 for example, most folk got through OK but Phil Alderson had the mother of all 5's ... and then rode rest of trial for a single dab. I do agree that the way forward is dual sections but there are those who still want single sections whereby its the same for everyone regardless of ability but ability is the nature of sucess in our sport. We either run trials for fun or seriousness, I maintain we can do both with dual sections but I dont run a trial or act as CofC with those trials in Normandale rounds, so I cannot complain too much. Incidentially section 3 was scrubbed as 'too slippy' but I actually cleaned up 90% of of it except exit.
If anyone from Lancs county read this (not likely) then yes dont make 19 hard sections for us, by all means have 2-3 hard sections but make rest rideable for us normal folk or use dual sections !!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I would agree 100% that there are an awful lot of bikes which are not being used. However in the unique situation we have in the UK (where there are no rules), its pretty much a waste of time competing on something like a Bultaco or Ossa, when you may have to compete against brand new TS bikes fitted with mono-shock motors.

The fact that you simply cant put on events catering for TS/P65 and modern bikes, is very ably demonstrated by the fact that the numbers of TS/P65 riders competing in this series is getting less and less. I think half the P65 riders in this event retired due to the severity of the conditions, and I guess those laying out the sections had probably been to the local WTC trial the week before, which had given them some ideas for the AR.

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 am

I cant stand it any more!

I thought that this thread was to be about modifying horrid old Yamahas using skill and judgement, not the automatic gainsaying of whoever wants to Spammer about Pre 65 and Twinshock rules or the lack of same in the U.K. !

With the best will in the world, no-one in Australia cares very much about the problems of integrating the varuious grades/classess and the perceived subsequent fall-off in entries that the organisers in the U.K. seem to be reported as having.

This is because we have it sorted down here.

Let me explain and lead you through it all.

Last weekend I rode in the NSW chapionships at Pacific Park and had a BRILLIANT time.

This is because of the following :-

1. We have intelligent section setters.

2. These intelligent section setters are assisted in their setting by intelligent riders from each grade - Cubman,c,b,a, and expert.

3.With few exeptions we use one section for all, just like the good old days, with intelligently positioned splits for the various grades.

4. We have intelligent riders who can undestand the system and ride accordingly.

And lastly:-

5. In the bigger events we are blessed with intelligent and dedicated observers and markers that understand the system and are thanked profusely by every rider, every time the section is ridden. This last is the most important.

Additionally, we in the Australian Trials Comunity, ( i.e. riders, organisers, observers and markers, importers, and machine modifiers ), are also blessed with an almost total lack of bullshit and axe-grinding.

This may be a foriegn concept to most in the Northern Hemisphere but is a reality, and this happy state of affairs played no small part in my decision to emigrate in 1986.

I see no problem with any twin-shock-modified, air cooled, drum braked monos being ridden in the twin shock class.

Better to have another bike displaying the skill of it's rider/builder than sitting in the back of the shed on a property and not being entered in the Air Cooled Mono class wich was still-born last year and has been buried this year...thank Dog, someone has put it out of it's misery!

I also see no problem with newly manufactured Pre 65s and any Sprite,James, Bantam, Tiger Cub etc, etc.

After all these are the sort of disgusting old heaps that we used to set on fire and throw in the canal in despair when the Spanish came along and showed us how to best utilise and pay our best and most capable riders, and like all endangered species they need our help and assistance to avoid extinction..

AND, never mind what bike you are riding, Toby Coleman, Jake Walker and several other young, fit, not-fat riders will jump on any old nail and still beat us!

Bloody Jono Chellas, to name but one springs to mind. Jono rode a seriously rat-shit TY 175 with both rear shocks seized at the mid point in their travel
( Oh, no - I suppose that fact alone would spark-off a heated debate in some circles with mumbling about Ty 175 rigids and their eligibility - well it could have been done back in the day etc. Dog save us! ) to victory in the B grade of the NSW Classic and Twin shock championships held by the Denman club a few weeks ago.

As I watched him clean through the Trials Make Smiles section, all I could do was stand there in admiration and with an open mouth.

It was especially galling, as when I caught up with him at the section ends cards, I noticed that he had about 30 psi in both tyres. "Oh, yeah, I must have forgotten to let them down after dad set them on the rims" was his explanation!

True skill.

Regards,

Joe Henderson.

Hagsta
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Montesa300RR
Club: SQTA

Postby Hagsta » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 am

Well said Joe Henderson.............. Surely this rubbish has gone on long enough!! I don't care if you want to ride the latest super trick limited edition alloy carbon fibre titanium NASA designed wonder bike with all of the double secret parts and you happen to take the trophy ahead of me (and I suspect most Australian riders are of a similar view.) There are plenty of riders out there than would still win events riding a wheel barrow. For me riding is about riding the best I can, enjoying some quality time with my sons and having a frosty beer afterwards whilst taking the absolute p*ss out of anyone who dared to score less points than me. My shot at trials superstardom passed me by many years ago when a complete lack of any skill or ability were the only things holding me back. Come on guys, get over it

He who dies with the most toys wins - Vivo Lente !

Return to “Technical help”