ty 250 mono aftermarket parts

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: ty 250 mono aftermarket parts

Postby FM350 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 am

Looks like it might work pretty well............the early JCM trials bikes used something along the same lines.

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 am

It (Fox Shox) will have to be used because the +20mm shocker causes back end to sit too high and makes chain angle all wrong over swing arm slipper pad. Looking at it built up, the slipper pad would probably last about 3 hours because the chain has no direct straight alignment to rear sprocket when viewed from side. It looks like the shock length is critical to the geometry and cannot be made too long. I have no wish to cut through the swing arm pad and damage swing arm just to sport a longer shock. It looks therefore that the standard shock or the Fox Shox will be going back on! Not a big problem in itself, I just have to re-weld the =20mm bracket back to where it was originally. It however still have a valve whereby I can pump up the resevior pressure to whatever proves best!!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 pm

If its of any help I have a standard TY250R shock that could be rebuilt no problem. Might be cheaper to do than getting the Fox one rebuilt? Was at Falcon today picking up a pair of shocks, and Robin tells em the stock TY mono shock is fully rebuildable, and this will cost around £175, so I would imagine it will be less money to rebuild the stock shock.

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 am

I had chance to have a quick look at Chris Koch bike on Sunday, first thing that is obvious is the size of the exhaust pipe .... it must be about 2 inch dia .... far bigger than any mono system ... and the motor is basically a 53Y Jap import engine with a 350 USA barrel on, it still sports a Jap trail clutch cover aka with oil pump recess and it sure does go well !!! all the same !!!
I rode totally rubbish though, sporting a massive hang-over and head pounder .... that run over the mountains was a real killer for me, felt like mi brain had exploded and turned to jelly!! #-o #-o Sections were a tad hard IMHO and technical, the terrain was superb but the sections lacked imagination I thought ......an before yer start I too do mark sections out at Barnsley club etc etc so I have an opinion even if Westmoreland club say I dont .... technical sections are fine so long as they flow for the traditional rider as well as the expert on a GG ... especially on the land that was available to them. I much prefer a 2-lap trial, then I can at least clean up on a second lap if my first was pants! Did like those moorland sections though ... but they did flow and you could at least get though with some determination when my skill is non-existant !!!

Post a picture of your shock please, lets see what it is like first.
Ta!

sharpie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 250
Club: Oakleigh & SQTA

Postby sharpie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Ferretflasher,
If your used to setting sections in the Barnsley area wouldn't they all be in coal dust and slack heaps, at least thats how the place looked twenty years ago when I lived there.

Sharpie.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31 am

Ferretflasher wrote:I had chance to have a quick look at Chris Koch bike on Sunday, first thing that is obvious is the size of the exhaust pipe .... it must be about 2 inch dia .... far bigger than any mono system ... and the motor is basically a 53Y Jap import engine with a 350 USA barrel on, it still sports a Jap trail clutch cover aka with oil pump recess and it sure does go well !!! all the same !!!
I rode totally rubbish though, sporting a massive hang-over and head pounder .... that run over the mountains was a real killer for me, felt like mi brain had exploded and turned to jelly!! #-o #-o Sections were a tad hard IMHO and technical, the terrain was superb but the sections lacked imagination I thought ......an before yer start I too do mark sections out at Barnsley club etc etc so I have an opinion even if Westmoreland club say I dont .... technical sections are fine so long as they flow for the traditional rider as well as the expert on a GG ... especially on the land that was available to them. I much prefer a 2-lap trial, then I can at least clean up on a second lap if my first was pants! Did like those moorland sections though ... but they did flow and you could at least get though with some determination when my skill is non-existant !!!

Post a picture of your shock please, lets see what it is like first.

Ta!

The main thing Jon Bliss was looking for when he built the bike Chris rides now, was smooth soft power, with increased torque........which he does seem to have achieved very well. This set up works great for slippery conditions, but lack of out and out power is something that may be a problem in some situations. Best feature of Chris's bike is the handling though, which isnt that far away from a modern bike, and Jon's idea to lower the seat height by running the shocks almost is line with the swinging arm, works very well indeed,

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:50 am

Ha ......... coal and slag heaps ........... well not any longer ........all gone now ....along with jobs, hope, employment and some self dignity .......... all swept away by that mad cow Thatcher and now just grass and nowt much else!!

sharpie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 250
Club: Oakleigh & SQTA

Postby sharpie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm

I used to live at Woolley way back when, the place can only look better with out the coal heaps but yes the state of employment and prospects over there is why I'm now over here.

Sharpie.

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Not trying to hijack this thread but as an ex Bradford lad I can remember riding in a Wakefield DMCC trial over slag heaps – good fun - but I think it’s a Morrisons Supermarket now. :cry:

Paul Mac

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:53 am

Yup ...... a bit off topic .... spoil heap at Cortonwood pit is now indeed a Morrisons and an Asda house-hold super store. Woolley pit is now a large country park with a housing estate on the pit top area, still has that silly steep road down from Woolley Edge though ..... all gone in the name of smashing NUM !! We now buy and burn someone else's coal ...... not much point trying to use our own now all reserves have been sterilized but whats left will remain sealed down there until we need it in 90 years time.
Anyway if you guys dig it out we buy it, UK price is about 89.2 GBP / ton delivered! But we are heading towards re-newables in a big way so another 20 years and we may not need your coal ????

Out with Yam and that Fox Shox on Sunday, see how it fares!!

Return to “Technical help”