OKO Flat Slide carby

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

backyardy
Junior participant
Junior participant

OKO Flat Slide carby

Postby backyardy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:14 am

[color=#000080]Hello folks,

OKO 28mm Trials Carby Kit available on Ebay. Does anyone have any experience with these carbies and would this kit work on a Sherco?

:roll:

jamie
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: OKO Flat Slide carby

Postby jamie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:50 am

don't bother with it. it's a cheap arse chinese copy of a keihin carb, but not as well made. don't know how you'll go with after sales support either. spare parts, set up etc!!

if everyone keeps buying cheap chinese crap the quality manufacturers will go out of business. a bit like the (former) australian manufacturing industry.

backyardy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby backyardy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:31 pm

oops, too late :oops: I bought one....

I ended up contacting a chap in Brisbane who sells conversion kits for trials bikes. For $175 you can get the carby only with trials jetting. I opted for the Sherco Base Kit $199 and it was supplied with the bits needed to fit it properly (clamps, throttle cable, extra jets etc) although its claimed it fits and runs better with the Complete Kit $299 (some alloy spacer or something). It runs well as is and the difference in power and smoothness compared to the Dellorto is amazing. Spares are available (I know because I lost the clip on the needle #-o ). anyone else got an OKO?

CRAFTY
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby CRAFTY » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I bought a keihin flatslide for my 08 Sherco, complete with jets for $215 from the local Kawasaki dealer. KX80 part. Amazing what a difference it makes to bottom end response and smoothness

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:18 pm

backyardy wrote:....anyone else got an OKO?

Yes I've been running one for 4 months now, And after running a real Keihin PWK 28 for over 9 months. And trying everything to make the Keihin run reliably (and stop it pee-ing everywhere), I find the OKO an absolute dream. =D> ....and it's always clean, smooth and reliable.

Yes, most of the Chinese carbs have been bad in the past. But I'll say that the OKO's are now the best of em. The Chinese market revolution is here. And believe it or not they are getting better all the time. :shock:
But trials bikes need very high quality products. So you still need to be very cautious when looking at Chinese "anything" for Trials.

Also, the alloy spacer is very important....contact Don and get one prior to fitting.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

backyardy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby backyardy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am

cool..Neo, what jets you got in urs and how much was the spacer and what does it do? oh, and what cc is ur bike?

Crafty..I investigated that but the Kawa carb had bigger jets and the top was wrong...how'd u get around that? u have a 125cc?

Also, I read somewhere the Keihin behaves a bit funny on trials bike (too much jostling). The OKO doesn't seem to do this.

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:35 am

hmm this is all very interesting as I also ride a Sherco.

backyardy same question for you - what cc?

I ride a 290 so i'm not looking for any more power, although the bottom end smoothness is appealing..

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Gents,

I have an 06, 250 but I've also fitted a PWK to my old 02, 290 in the past. The jetting is identical for both.
I like to ride my bikes with a lot of low-down zap so I do not recommend my setting to others.....unless you fancy the thrill :lol:

Howard Wallace has provided these details many times in the past. And he's a man that really knows his stuff. 8)

38 pilot
110 main
Float level of 19 mm (at 45 degrees)
JJH needle, in middle clip position
Air screw should be 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns

These settings make your bike smooth and controllable.
The spacer also makes the bike a bit smoother but without the spacer the float bowl drain hex may nut need a chamfer to clear the top of the gearbox case.

Keihin parts/jets can be bought from;-
Show and Go Motorcycles
236 Brighton Road, Somerton Park
South Australia 5044
T (08) 8376 0333
http://www.showandgo.com.au/

I've attached a photo of my OKO in action (note, this was taken after several rides and I had not cleaned it) :lol:

You'll note it's a 30mm!!!....with OKO there's no real difference to the 28mm (for Trials) because the venturie is elliptical, so it's an identical width to a 28mm anyway.

Another critical factor is vent tubes (if you choose to fit them). These MUST breath freely. And the top vent is located on the exhaust side on an OKO. Fit your tube inside a wire spring. That way you can bend it down (next to the exhaust box) without it creasing or melting against the box.....sorry about the fuzzy picture. :oops:
Make the one on the float blow 5cm or 6cm, straight out. And cut the ends of both tubes at an angle. To reduce the chances of blockage.

I'm still working with these carbs. I'll soon be fitting a 24mm to an 06, 125....so wish me luck :lol:
And some things I don't like...... I find my bike revs up too high when started, with choke, from cold. You need to switch off the choke quickly and briefly open it 2 or 3 times. To keep the bike running for the first 30 seconds, before riding.
When my bike stalls and falls on it's left side, petrol will poor out quite quickly. Funnily enough the PWK was less prone to this.

But all in all I'm impress with the results I've had from such a cheap carb.

Best of balance.

Neo
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

backyardy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby backyardy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am

backyardy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby backyardy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:23 am

Neo,

How'd you go with the 24mm? and where'd you get it?

Return to “Technical help”