Beta steering or steering in general

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

car.davies
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Scorpa SY250R
Club: NT Croc Hoppers Members x 1

Beta steering or steering in general

Postby car.davies » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 pm

To all who can help
I was out on my Beta the other day on some multiple rocks type small and large. Well, the steering was getting pulled all over the place. I'm not a skinny little weak pearson and always thought trials was more technique than strength, but I was getting very tired, very quick. I was wonderring if maybe there was a way of sorting this out. Does my steering need tightening up or maybe just replacement of the bearings. Can anyone enlighten me or should I just keep on hanging on with the old arm pump etc. It was a very rocky place though, an old creek bed.
Cheers
Davo :NT:
:scorpa

keep them toes up
Davo

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Re: Beta steering or steering in general

Postby motostar99 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm

without knowing ur technique or how long u've been riding, is it possible that you are hanging on too tight? or putting too much weight over the front wheel wen ur doing it?

if ur putting too much weight over the front and ur arms are too stiff and not relaxed you will prob find that would be happening.. just a thought

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

gmandas
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gasser
Club: AJS of SA

Postby gmandas » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Davo,
I would've thought if you had steering head problems this would show up on just about any surface.

For creekbeds a technique I was taught, which works well for me is to keep your eyes up and focus on your line between two points, not at what's at your feet. Keep your body centered over the bike with your knees well-bent and stance wide. This allows the bike to move under you as you keep a steady pace over the rocks. Momentum is important and I find second gear works better than a jerky first.

This sort of riding is hard physically for anyone, but by staying smooth and steady over the rocks instead of bouncing off one rock to another makes it easier.

Have fun on those hot tropical rocks,
G

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Sometimes moving the bars to a slightly different position can make a big difference in the riding you have described. In your case try rotating them slightly rearwards (20mm maybe at the grips).
Also check that you not bottoming out the forks to the end of their travel on the rocks.
Are they standard width bars?
David

relax, nothing is under control

car.davies
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby car.davies » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Cheers guys
I'll try and get this in order:
Firstly, I think I do tend to lean forward a bit, so lots of weight on the front end. I'm six foot so I will have to work on getting my weight more central. Secondly, I do stick in first gear as there are a lot of large holes that I have to jump over, therefore I need that burst of power to get the leap. Also, I do look right in front and plan my route as I get there, this one will require more faith and practice. And last but not least, the bars are a sort of fat or taper bar and I think slightly narrower. I did try moving them forward a bit to account for my stance, so moving them back might be the go. Also, when the steering moves, it's generally on a rock or hole and could be the shocks bottoming out. I have been meaning to replace the oil in them. This may also be a reason. The seals are good, but does the oil degrade after time?. Suspension set up is one of the things that has always blown my mind, so I may have them too soft on the set up. Well, I've got a lot to be going on with, so I will be back out there on Sat' and put them all to the test on the same rocks.Not the fork oil just yet though. I've been getting a lot of blisters since I've been training there. Just bought some new gloves which got here today, so maybe all the above have contributed to the blisters. I will let you know at the weekend.
By the way David, Thanks for the DVD. It got here yesterday and what I've seen so far is perfect. My wife was even waching it. I've been racking my brains for a way to repay you.

Once again
Cheers

keep them toes up
Davo

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 pm

The DVD is for publicity for Trials riding so what I ask is for you to use it to spread the word about the sport. I reckon you are already quite an ambassador.

For your body positioning, have a look at the Ryan Young training video and also at the trials riding training notes on this website.

Regards
David

relax, nothing is under control

car.davies
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby car.davies » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

Update,
Well it's surprising what shifting your position and moving the bars makes. I also got my manual out and made the forks a bit harder. Not sure on this one though as I think I may have increased the rebound and reduced damping. However, much better. I also tried looking more to my front ( as per Ryan Youngs tips for stream beds at Trials T' C' website and Gmandas(G) input ) and all worked. I was not so keen on using second though as I tended to go a bit quicker and although smoother and less taxing, I almost missed a few of the rock jumps and came unstuck. Also kept my knees wide and bent, cheers G, with the result less movement of the front wheel.
Well I have altered quite a bit and the result is a far better ride through the sections I have set up, but I would love to know which adjustment had the greatest effect. I can say that moving the bars has helped with moving the front end ie, hopping the front end, as it's easier to load up the forks.
I've now spent the best part of four weekends riding in that stream bed( dry, as its the dry season here) and I'm going to try my hand elsewhere for a while. I will of course return in the wet, when my dry stream bed will be a raging torent. Mucho sweat time up here. So once again, thanks for the input =D>. I'll return to this thread and update. Can't wait to ride my new bike and try out these techniques, but I'm not picking it up until Aug, sadly.

Cheers

keep them toes up
Davo

motostar99
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: LRMTC, NDMC, SQTA

Postby motostar99 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Well Davo, seems like those few little things made a few big differences. That's good to hear. Hopefully now you can enjoy the rocks more!

Nic 8)

Rockin with the Gas Gas crew...

Return to “Technical help”