tubeless tyre, slow leak, how to fix?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

XT John
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: nil
Club: nil

tubeless tyre, slow leak, how to fix?

Postby XT John » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:08 pm

G'day, I have a slow leak in the rear tubeless tyre on the Beta and I'm wondering what "fix" is suitable. Is it necessary to plug or patch the tyre or is it ok to use "Slime" in a slow moving trials tyre?
Thanks...XT.

phoenix75
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT Repsol
Club: Western Districts

Re: tubeless tyre, slow leak, how to fix?

Postby phoenix75 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:41 am

when I was riding Beta I ran a small bead of silicone around the left and ride side of the rubber in the wheel so air doesn't escape through there. As you put the silicone on the rim then use your finger to work the rubber into the recess and let it dry so when you pump up the tyre the air doesn't desturb the rubber.

It worked for me

VIVA MONTESA

Frank van Heerden

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 pm

If I was you I would put the wheel and tyre in a bath to see where the leak is from. then if you look on this site there was several good sugestions ( probably not mine ) on how to get a perfect seal. the topic was covered in depth about 3-4 months ago.

If I was you I would not use that seal slime as it will throw a wheel out of balance and can often clog the valve.

Cheers Gordo

phoenix75
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT Repsol
Club: Western Districts

Postby phoenix75 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:58 pm

seal slime I think not,

If you let it dry first it won't clog the valve and your not fast enough for the tyre to be out of balance, with the amount you use to seal the rim it won't harm it

VIVA MONTESA

Frank van Heerden

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 pm

I though the idea with that stuff was that it didn't dry until it made contact with large amounts of air. If I'm right ( and I'm not sure I am ) then that would make it all sag to the bottom of the wheel when it was stationary and would also make it block the valve in the same way as it blocks a small hole.

Clarification from someone please?

Are we talking about the same product? the one I know of is about 500ml lime green.

Cheers Gordo

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I have used a similar product from Supercheap Auto. It took about three weeks to seal and did not clog the valve as I had to keep pumping up the tyre over the three week period (I rode the bike every day). But it did seal and I had no more problems. Make sure the valve is at the top before you leave the bike for the day if you are worried about cloging the valve. I never did have to take the tyre off again before I sold it so I have no idea about any damage to the rim. I would use it again if I had such a problem but mine are all tubed tyres now. Maybe not the best way to seal a tubless tyre but it does work.

Starky

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:26 am

XT,
Have you recentley had a new tyre fitted or had the old one off?
Most problems with leaks from Trials tubeless rims are from the rim tape or valve stem being disturbed.
If the nut on the valve stem has been taken off & the stem pushed in (like must be done to get a tube out) this will wreck the seal of the stem onto the rim tape. Also if a tyre lever gets pushed into the rim tape this can dislodge the rim tape from the tracks it must sit in in the centre of the rim.
If you have stuck a stick or spike thru the side or face of the tyre, most m/cycle tubeless repair kits work ok on smallish holes.
There is a lot of You Tube help videos with link from the USA Gas Gas site.
One of these may help you. 8)

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

XT John
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: nil
Club: nil

Postby XT John » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys.
I've shoved a bottle of Slime in there for now, it seems to be working OK.
I will have to replace the tyre in the not too distant future so hopefully it will hold till then.
Cheers...XT.

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:23 pm

One thing worth trying (if you haven’t already) is a new valve insert... It's easy to get a bit of grit in there when you adjust the pressure and they’re as cheap as chips from any Auto / bike spares shop.

Paul Mac

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 pm

I have tried using SLIME in a mountain bike but it never works effectively, it would always slowly leak despite what it said on the bottle. It was expensive here in the UK and made the wheel and tyre much more heavy and so I never use the stuff now except in an emergency. When you change tyres you have to scoop all that green snot out and put it back into the bottle or dump it. It wont address the real problem which is the fit of the rim tape.

The best approach is to run a bead of silicon mastic around the rim tape edges as previous posts recommend, it only needs a small continuous bead and smooth it off with your finger and some soapy -water. Make sure surface is clean and dry before you apply it, wash/rub with a bit of petrol on a cloth. Use yer 'ed though when sloshing petrol about......cos it will take yer eyebrows off...!!

I fitted my BETA rear with a GasGas type rim tape that has the valve fitted into the rim-tape simply because that is one less area to leak from.
FF

Return to “Technical help”