Brakes issue

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

dar1stheory
C grade participant
C grade participant

Brakes issue

Postby dar1stheory » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey guys,

was riding the other day and I found that the rear had locked up on me, I was looking for a rock or stick or something, but got around to figuring out that it was actually the rear brakes completely locked on.

It appears to be an issue of pressure build up from the fluid getting hot, but after the first time it happened, and they cooled down and released, I was super careful to avoid riding them at all, and yet it happened again!

Any suggestions? (270 Beta '03)

Cheers guys

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Brakes issue

Postby Stork955 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 am

Gday, first thing to do is check that you have some free travel between the end of the pushrod and the master cylinder piston. In other words, the pedal moves a bit before pushing the piston. This is vital - there is a small port in the cylinder called a transfer port which is open all the time at rest so expanding heated fluid can get into the reservoir without locking the brake on. It is usually adjusted out in an attempt to correct some other issues but as I said, it is vital for any brake's operation. Check that first and have a look at the fluid, if its the colour of tea it needs changing as well.

HTH

Cheers,

Stork.

dar1stheory
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Brakes issue

Postby dar1stheory » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks Stork,

I think you're right on the money with the free play suggestion, there doesn't appear to be any movement in it, now I've just got to figure out how to get in there! Its all hidden up inside the frame... #-o

Will play with it later on and see how I go...

Return to “Technical help”