choice of tyres nowdays

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

albert
Junior participant
Junior participant

choice of tyres nowdays

Postby albert » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:03 pm

Which tyres do i purchase? Coming back to trials after a 20 year spell. Tyres to suit a 3 year old bike. Michelin? IRC ? Dunlop? can you help?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:04 pm

Albert
Q1
What sort of riding are you going to use the three year old bike for?
Q2
Are you in Australia?
Q3
Are you low price or high performance oriented?
Q4
Do you ride wet stuff?

The different trials tyres currently available all have their pros and cons so it's difficult to recommend any without knowing more details.

albert
Junior participant
Junior participant

which type of tyre to buy

Postby albert » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:58 pm

Brisbane area, greybeard, c grade competition, mostly dry right now. cheers albert

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:32 pm

Albert
If you want to do well in Greybeard (C Grade) standard sections in the Brisbane (sometimes wet) area events, you should get the best traction tyre that money can buy which is the Michelin X11. They are also the most expensive trials tyres.
If you had said you were going to ride Clubman or wanted to get tyres that last a long time (Pirelli) or were reasonable in the wet and cost less than Michelin (Dunlop), I would have recommended something else.
Mitas is the cheapest comp trials tyre but aren't much good for trials competition due to being a low profile design.
David

robert
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby robert » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:15 pm

I find that Dunlops get me far more grip than any michelin ive ever owned. Riding mostly B grade with the occassional look at bigger stuff when ive been practicing, and also the poofy turns and C grade stuff when i havent. Bhey also wear a lot quicker. So its a bit of a trade off, but i've always found them softer.

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

Postby Scorps » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 pm

I too agree with robert - for rears the Dunlop D801 is the go - softer rubber for more grip - stiffer sidewalls for less staking punctures and 3/4 the cost of a Michelin. Even though the softer rubber wears quicker - the cheaper cost offsets this. The only reason I use the michi's is that they come free with new bikes :D .

cheers,
scorps

bryan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby bryan » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:00 am

Right on the mark scorps, I reckon the the dunlops have awsome traction - better than the Michis by far - and at a better price.

Unlike you, I won't even ride a new bike with michis on any more, I swap em straight away.

The IRC's are pretty good for the average rider. I find them a bit stiff in the sidewall and I need to run them at a slightly lower pressure than the Dunlops (even with the extra ballast I carry around the belly) - the price is good though.

The Mitas are dirt cheap, and perform as such. They do make an intresting front tyre though, it's got slightly wider spaced knobs than most others and a more rounded profile that I found really good when I was doing a lot of trail riding pre scottish six day trial last year.

I bet you that 90% of riders would never pick the difference between any of them, but I'd ride with a bald Dunlop rear over a brand new anything else.

Cheers
Baz

Chris England
Junior participant
Junior participant

Tyres?

Postby Chris England » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:21 pm

Here in the muddy old UK, most people use IRCs..............also seem to last longer than other tyres, and are a little cheaper!

Chris

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:24 pm

Turn to page 112 of this months (november) Just bikes and have a little look down the bottom of the page there.... Cheap trials tyres!!!!

Any idea what you get for your bugger all money?

sorry to the dealers Im just too curious.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:05 pm

wazzawood wrote:Turn to page 112 of this months (november) Just bikes and have a little look down the bottom of the page there.... Cheap trials tyres!!!!

Any idea what you get for your bugger all money?

sorry to the dealers Im just too curious.

Wazza,

Those tyres in Just Bikes look like Cheng Shin to me. Once again, you get what you pay for. I'm sure they would be good in the Woolworths carpark.

Return to “Technical help”