Ty 350

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Ty 350

Postby Guy53 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 am

Well, I just picked up my new toy yesterday, a TY 1986 350 It's not a show and I think it will spend some time in the basement so I will need some parts, probably a piston kit, seals, bearings, cables etc. So any info on where I can get those parts and any advise on replacements is very very welcome

Than's in advance

Guy
Attachments
IMG_2586.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Re: Ty 350

Postby brownie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 am

G'day Guy,

I recently did up a TY250 mono and found John Cane had everything, good bloke to deal with and has the RIGHT parts, not something that might fit. Although I did source some gearbox bearings through a local bearing dealer.
http://www.tytrials.co.uk/

don.howison
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby don.howison » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 am

Do yourself a favour and convert the 350 to a 250. They are much better and easier to ride. I rode 350's for many years, they are a lumpy motor that runs very hot. Carby tuning does not stay consistent because of the wild heat variations of the engine. Of course, the carby will need to be rejetted. Simply get yourself a new head, barrel and piston assembly and machine some off the flywheel weight. You will be surprised what a great little bike they are to ride. To further improve the performance install a straight thru type rear muffler.
regards....Hollywood

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 am

Do you have more inputs on that either parts number, suplier or other

Guy

dragster1964
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TL125, 2011 Raga 250
Club: MWMCC

Postby dragster1964 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 am

Howdy Doo Daa is partially right in what he said. He and other Novacastrians had the most TY350's in the one club and Doo Daa and Revver were a couple of the best tinkerers.I have seen Don half way up a mountainside pull his little screwdriver out to adjust the mixture screw. Yes the 250 motor was a lot easier to ride but Rob Black rode a TY350 onto the podium at an Aussie titles one year and all he did was add fuel and kick the tyres. Your call.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 pm

There is a TY350 manual you can download, amongst other good things,
here http://www.custgp.com/downloads.html

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm

'ey up Guy, been nearly 7 week now since buying 350 so I guess its still in garage waiting its fate?? I can concur the 350's are very fiddly to set up and do run poor in comparison to a 250. The answer depends on what your budget is as to stay 350 or go 250 but the bottom end of the TY is virtually bomb proof and should not really need doing. BUT if the mains are gone then its a full strip down. If you do it 'yer sell you will need some gas torches / hot air guns / oil bath to do it correctly. You must get the casings so hot you can hardly hold them with bare hands !! DO NOT HAMMER ends of crank shaft trying to get it out.....you WILL make an arse of the treads if you 'aint careful....plenty of heat required.
John at TY is the best source for bits but mains should be available in Aus, choose Jap Koyo if pos. Otherwise look for mono stuff on eBay.fr ..........yes I know they are froggies but the stuff over there is virtually mint while the stuff in blighty is 99% knackered! I buy a lot of my mono bits from there and the quality way better than UK stuff. There are 2 main breakers with mono stuff and have plenty of barrels and heads in stock.
FF :mrgreen:

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

I think a friend will take care of the '' thing '', for every good thing I hear about it, there is always a counter argument. I didn't hide any thing from him and he read all the post but he realy want to thinker with the 350. I certanly am interested in a ty mono but I think a 250 would be a better choise for me. At the moment I have a TY twinshock project going and it's THE main focus. I can tell you that there is a lot of weight on the let go side of the scale.

Guy

Return to “Technical help”