woodruff key sheared

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

woodruff key sheared

Postby Stu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 pm

why would an '03 Sherco spit 2, yep 2 woodruff keys within an hour? It ran for about 30 seconds then nothing. I checked the wiring etc then was checking the stator wiring I noticed the key had sheared. Bugger! Down the shop to get 2 more. Put another 1 in and it too did the same thing! Its now back together sulking at me in the corner, but no go.

Feet up, as always!

brt650
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
Club: DMCC

Re: woodruff key sheared

Postby brt650 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello stu,
The woodruff key is for alignment only. Not a stressed item. I'd be looking at the taper and see if it has picked up the bearing surfaces.Leave the key out and get some valve grinding paste( fine) and lap the flywheel onto the crank taper. Then ensure the woodruff key isn't sitting too high. Make sure the nut isn't bottoming on the thread. You may have to fit another washer under the nut.Then when it's all clean , heat the flywheel a little and shrink it onto the crank.
Good luck
Brian :D

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Stu,
Shops down the road don't sell woodruft keys for Sherco's.
The woodruft key align's the flywheel exactley where it needs to be, if it's out by a 0.05mm it will change the timing.
(Old Roadracing trick for production bikes).
You need the right woodruft key !!
The flywheel also fits onto a taper, if the taper on the end of the crank ( I know this bikes been apart a while) is rusty it won't be a perfect fit. You should also have a flywheel holder to hold the flywheel when you tension up the bolt holding it on (Don Murray could tell you how many foot/pounds it needs to be) or use a rattle gun.

I'd call Don or spend a few bucks & take it to Gary at Oak Flats M/C to have a look at.

Cheers,
Gary B.

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

thanks gary. The bike was put back together while waiting for the right ignition parts, so no extras in there. Good point on the right keys! I was on the phone to Don earlier about it, but it was only later in the day that I found out about the damage. I'll call him tomorrow.
And oak Flats M/C is on my list as well!

Feet up, as always!

Return to “Technical help”