Spooky Spokes, Bent and Loose

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Spooky Spokes, Bent and Loose

Postby Neo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:49 am

Hi,

I need some advice on wheel spokes. My bike has a couple of spokes on the rear wheel which have been hit by rocks and are bent (between 2-4mm dents) but are actually still tight. Do I really need to take the whole wheel apart to replace them and would I have to have the whole rim aligned again if I did this?
In contrast my front wheel has a couple of loose spokes (but still straight). Would just tightening the spokes while the wheel is still on the bike be the wrong thing to do?
Both front and back rims seem to be in perfect condition.

Also, does anyone know a good website that explains in detail how to align a rim?

Many thanks

Neo

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Take advice from an x spurt

Postby BJ » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:48 pm

Neo

Some words of wisdom on spokes (If I had any I would gladly pass them on :oops: )

Nah, don't worry too much about bent ones that are still tight although you can remove them one at a time and replace or straighten them with out drama. As far as loose ones go just tighten them gently. A good gauge is to tap them and tune to the same ringing sound as the tight ones. Just don't get carried away trying to make a wheel sound like a harp or use unnecessary force. Yamaha use tuning forks??????

There is no great trick to relacing a wheel, just time and thought. You need to set up a jig to hold the axle and pointers that almost touch the rim. Then take your time and adjust the spokes to get it running true.

Or if you ride like me and wobble around everywhere a crook wheel will make no difference at all!

BJShercs

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Many thanks. Put my mind at rest!!

Return to “Technical help”