trials bike speedos and other elec bits

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

trials bike speedos and other elec bits

Postby wazzawood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Hello and seasons greetings,

I have a CBR400, which I'm feebly trying to turn into a cafe racer. It's already sporting some gasgas electrics (the front indicators clip onto the forks, tail light and rego plate holder, and the neat switch mech for the blinkers, horn and lights) and now I need a funtional speedo and odometer. When the trials bikes are imported, do they have an odometer or odometer function on the digital speedo (that would pass a rego inspection)? Is there an electronic/magnetic sender somewhere on the bike, or in the crate?

By the way, does anyone know the batteries that fit the speedo on a gas gas? Might be AAAA or AAAAA. I tried the AAAs out of the TV remote and no bueno. And curse my luck, at that moment, a terribly crude Sports Bra commercial came on and I couldn't change the channel.

Thanks. Any guidance greatly, greatly appreciated.
Wazza

:QLD: :ACT: :NSW: :TAS: :ACT: :SA:

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Re: trials bike speedos and other elec bits

Postby PA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 pm

A bicycle one would work fine. The magnet is fixed to a spoke on the front wheel. Plenty on ebay.

And your other question. You should watch that sort of television after the family has gone to bed.

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks PA,
I found a battery to fit the damn thing but it seemed to reset when the battery was removed, which I doubt the rego inspector will approve of. So I got a new speedo cable and bodgey'd up something using the old one, a hacksaw, cable ties, a fistful of connectors, a discarded tinted helmet visor, blood, sweat, tears and two evenings.

But my question still stands, what do people do with all the road gear for their trials bikes? It was a godsend having it gathering dust for this project.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:23 pm

In the case of twinshock trials bikes, people put it in a box before they first ride the bike in trials, or maybe after smashing it up just a bit. The box of gear gets forgotten by the time the bike is onsold and then is thrown out with the garbage at some time between "back then" and "now" because until relatively recently, no-one wanted road rego gear for obsolete old motorbikes.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Technical help”