Best Fork seal tool

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: One or both

Postby David Lahey » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:24 pm

Parla_Gully wrote:Neo

It is just as easy to do both while the front wheel is out unles you have a particular cause that makes one seal more prone to leaks than another.

This could be the case with my 2000 250 Sherco which has preload spring setting on one fork and damper adjustment on the other. As I found out when playing with suspension settings, if you wind up the damper too much you will make the seal leak purely though excess pressure. I have never had it leak again once I backed off the damper. I would assume because of the set up the right seal on a Sherco does more work than the left. Am I right ShercoH????????

BJShercs

As Howard points out, changing the damping settings should not affect the fork seal in the slightest. However if you put too much oil in either fork leg, you can easily cause the fork seal to be overpressurised. Both fork legs should bottom out "mechanically" ie metal to metal when fully compressed. If they stop compressing before that point due to excess air pressure caused by a too high oil level, the seals will see a pressure way higher than what they were designed for when you land heavily.

Return to “Technical help”