Yamaha Mono Bent Frame

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

Yamaha Mono Bent Frame

Postby bird » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 am

G'day, Just trying to work out whether my new purchase Pinky has a bent frame or had a major tumble. Can anyone with a mono tell me whether the two rear mudguard mounts should line up parallel, ie the bolt holes line up opposite each other. Looking at the rear of my
bike the right hand strut sits higher, or has been bent up that way. The mudguard has never sat straight either,twisting to the right, and this discovery may explain why. I'm also a bit suss about the main frame piece that bolts to the base of the engine. I'd like to make sure the frame is right before I waste time and money getting it painted and put the whole show back together, so would really appreciate any help or frame photos anyone has. Cheers, bird.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: Yamaha Mono Bent Frame

Postby FM350 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Check visually to see if the wheels are in line, and if they are its just a matter of straightening the mudguard mounts, which is very easy to do. Its not that difficult to straighten the frame even if the wheels are out of line, but very unlikely this is the case though.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

Postby bird » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks FM350. Appreciate the advice. Cheers.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 am

TY frames are made out of ERW tube, and you can straighten the mudguard mount simply by using a heavy copper/hide mallet to "align" them properly!

Return to “Technical help”